At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.5M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About The Team
The ML Systems Engineering team is a part of the ML & Discovery organization where we create AI/ML-powered experiences that help our subscribers discover content they love. The team assists this mission by building robust distributed systems, solving infrastructure difficulties, and creating the APIs that power the whole discovery experience at Scribd.
You will lead a team that:
● Builds scalable infrastructure that encourages pipeline development, terabyte-level ML backfills, offline and online model inferences, and automated model retraining.
● Builds services to enable product features like recommendations and search, collaborating with ML Engineering, Product, Design, QA, and Front End Engineering.
● Works on our Ruby on Rails codebase to feed ML outputs to the web and mobile applications.
● Builds capabilities that ensure quality, performance, scale, and observability throughout the development process and production of ML models.
● Owns critical tables and DAGs assisting ML Lifecycle management.
● Supports creating a shared feature store to centralize all ML feature development.
● Creates real-time ML monitoring & observability systems using API endpoints.
You love coaching and mentoring teams that deliver stable, high-quality software. You have a technical background and contribute to planning and design discussions. You believe in building teams and practices that scale as the company grows. You are knowledgeable about Machine Learning systems engineering standards and methodologies.
What You’ll Do
● Manage and grow a team of software engineers specializing in infrastructure, distributed systems, and big data technologies.
● Foster a psychologically safe environment for professional and technical growth within the team
● Hire top-performing engineering talent and maintain our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
● Collaborate cross-functionally to design, build, and ship reliable and scalable systems.
● Establish well-defined OKRs and guide the team to achieve those goals.
● At least 3 years of experience with directly managing 4 or more engineers.
● Demonstrated technical expertise in server-side and client-side engineering.
● Experience building and assisting systems for online and offline model inference.
● Strong fundamentals in machine learning systems, frameworks, and operations (experience with Elasticsearch, Vespa, Verta, and Airflow is a plus).
● Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
● Entrepreneurial spirit. The ability to thrive in self-directed and innovative environments.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
San Francisco OR Remote Us/canada