Founded in 2007, Quimbee is one of the most widely used and respected study aids for law students. With a massive and growing library of case briefs, video lessons, definitions, and practice questions, Quimbee helps its members achieve academic success in law school. Quimbee can be accessed on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices.
This position is 100% remote. All you need is an internet connection and a quiet place to work.
Quimbee's tech team works on an agile process and has a great mix of seasoned web backend, frontend, and mobile developers. Quimbee's web and API platform is based on a monolithic Ruby on Rails application, and we make the effort to keep it updated to recent dependencies' versions. We're big believers on automated tests, and while we don't necessarily do test-first, CodeClimate rates both our maintenance and code coverage metrics with an A.
This position is to work primarily on our web platform with an emphasis on our frontend code (views, HTML, CSS, JS) but also helping on backend work (controllers, models, serializers, query optimization, etc) whenever that's needed, so we're looking for someone with a passion for frontend but who's no stranger to backend code.
- Design and write maintainable code following best practices, knowing that most of the time, good enough is better than perfect.
- Help maintain and improve our frontend code, currently based on Slim, SCSS, Bootstrap, and plain JS with a mix of some jQuery. We're pushing to adopt RSJS on the JS front.
- Help maintain and improve our backend code, including writing new features and adapting existing ones collaborating with our backend developers. We use Ruby on Rails.
- Collaborate with teammates, the project manager, product, design, and QA teams during the whole SDLC, providing technical points of view, effort estimates, drafting or reviewing requirements, etc.
- Take ownership of assigned projects and be responsible for communicating progress on a regular basis.
- Participate in scheduled planning, review, and retrospective meetings on a regular basis (via videoconferencing technology)
Working with us, you could be asked to (solo or as part of a team):
- Implement a new page from scratch from a new comp coming from our design team, leveraging existing HTML/CSS components when possible but implementing brand new ones when needed.
- Take a raw, initial version of a new page or feature developed by our backend devs and "beautify" it by adapting its front-end code to reuse UI components and follow our style guide, in the context of our Ruby on Rails application. This requires a very good understanding of Rails' controllers and views conventions.
- Review our existing JS code and refactor it to follow best practices.
- Prepare and document reusable HTML/CSS/JS code components so that other developers can use them.
- Setup a unit testing framework for our JS code and sponsor it among your teammates.
- Work with other backend developers implementing a new API endpoint in Ruby serializing data in JSON for our mobile app.
- B.S. computer science or related field
- 2+ years of Ruby on Rails experience
- Excellent HTML CSS experience (cross-browser compatibility, responsive media queries, flex, grid, etc.)
- Good understanding of SQL
- Extensive Git (or similar) experience solving complex merging conflicts
- Know how the web works under the hood: TCP, HTTP, DNS, IP, caches, etc.
- Solid knowledge of OOP, software architecture, and design patterns
- A deep understanding of the importance of building maintainable, efficient, clean code, while balancing that with the urgency of the business needs
- Deep caring about uptime, performance, and reliability
- The will to take responsibility for projects end-to-end from idea to completion
- Fluency in English
- Based in the U.S.
- Experience with at least one programming language other than Ruby and JS
- Hosting apps in Heroku, monitoring and scaling them up/down
- Implementing APIs for mobile apps
- Implementing a SaaS application or with subscription-based businesses generally
Join a small team who loves what they do. Work from home. A competitive salary. Healthcare coverage (including dental) for you and your family. Untracked paid time off and sick leave. 401(k) with 3% company matching.