Open Up Resources, a publisher of high-quality open educational resources in core content areas with a vision of providing teachers with the tools to engage students in liberating educational experiences. Ignite! is a strategic initiative connected to Open Up Resources’ K-5 Bookworms Reading and Writing curriculum and is focused upon ensuring children in the K-2 grade band learn to read on time.
Open Up Resources is leading a transformation in the instructional materials market by becoming an anti-racist organization and infusing every program, partnership, and practice with this intentionality so that our curriculum can catalyze anti-racist norms, structures, practices, and policies in education and society. As it relates to Ignite!, this initiative addresses the right to read and literacy as a social justice issue.
Ignite!’s mission is ensuring every child receives coherent foundational skills instruction grounded in the science of reading when they are in kindergarten and first grade so that every possible educational and life opportunity is accessible to them.
Working in close collaboration with the Founder of Ignite! and the CEO of Open Up Resources, and reporting directly to the Program Manager, the Literacy Specialist is responsible for supporting the design and execution of the Ignite! Reading program.
- Develop deep understanding, knowledge, and expertise in the Science of Reading; leverage this knowledge to develop tutors, Coaches in Training, and to strengthen the programmatic elements of Ignite!
- Support with the maintenance of the Ignite! Reading Tutor training roadmap; support with the creation of all aligned tutor materials
- As required and where appropriate, lead professional learning sessions
- Support with the creation of a strong Ignite! tutor culture, including facilitating coaching sessions, practice clinics, and reviewing tutor videos to provide rubric-aligned feedback - Manage tutor communications, including weekly tutor email and tutor surveys; determine patterns from surveys and ensure feedback is appropriately incorporated into ongoing program design
- Support with the recruitment and selection of tutors, ensuring that Ignite! builds a tutor corps that is diverse and reflective of the students we serve
- Organize resources within Torsh and ensure that it is a helpful repository for tutors to leverage
- Support with the development of resources that comprise the Ignite! Curriculum, which is grounded in DI
- Model and reinforce the values and culture of Ignite! in all internal and external interactions; build trusting relationships with strategic partners
- Support with the creation and development of processes and tools to support the effectiveness of the Ignite! program; notice where needs exist and exhibit initiative in tackling those needs in order to keep the program moving forward; consider ways to work cross functionally with other members of the Ignite! team to ensure innovative solutions are codified
- Support with the design and development of the curriculum that undergirds Ignite!; determine ways in which DI may need to evolve to further support Ignite!’s mission; create necessary resources and collateral
- Be flexible and ready to wear many hats as a founding member of Ignite!
Ethics and Integrity: Behave in a fair and ethical manner toward peers, partners, tutors, and children; instill mutual trust and confidence; act with honesty and integrity.
Business Skills and Knowledge: Design and develop organizational strategies to align performance with business needs and desired results.
Planning/Organizing/Goal Setting: Demonstrate the ability to organize people and tasks; develop realistic action plans while being sensitive to time constraints and resource availability; define realistic, specific goals and objectives; prioritize objectives.
Teamwork and Collaboration: Work with colleagues to build morale and team commitment to goals and objectives.
Diversity: Understand that each individual is unique and celebrate individual differences including race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical (dis)ability, marital status, veteran status, education, training, position, level of authority, seniority, full-time or part-time status.
Collaboration: Cultivate a positive partner and customer service relationship; foster two-way communication; deliver experiences that exceed stakeholders’ expectations.
Continuous Improvement: Continuously seek opportunities for innovative approaches to address organizational opportunities.
Solution-Oriented: Exhibit initiative; take action in solving problems; positive attitude focused on collaboration and team problem solving.
Managing Change: Embrace change and help others to accept new directions, ideas, and approaches in service of achieving the mission.
- Minimum of 3 years of classroom experience teaching literacy
- Understanding of the importance of the Science of Reading (SOR) and willingness to become deeply knowledgeable about SOR
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to straddle multiple strategic projects while also dipping into the nuts and bolts of the work (i.e., teaching children to read)
- Proficiency using Zoom, including advanced features such as breakout rooms and annotation; experience teaching children to read over Zoom; ability to facilitate large group professional learning via Zoom
- Working knowledge of Google platform; ideally familiarity with Torsh Talent platform - Ability to learn to train and lead a group of non-educators to understand SOR, to learn Differentiated Instruction (DI), and to implement DI with absolute fidelity
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to facilitate work with stakeholders, including building relationships in service of the mission of Ignite! and Ignite!’s strategic priorities - High expectations for what tutors and children can achieve and a relentless commitment to ensuring that Ignite! achieves its mission in service of teaching children to read - Extraordinary communication skills; written, verbal, and interpersonal
- Ability to be self-managing and flexible while working in a remote environment
- At Ignite! Reading/Open Up Resources, we believe in building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all applicants are considered for employment without attention to color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- We are seeking candidates who have lived experience related to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We are a virtual organization with headquarters in the California Bay Area.
- This is a benefited, salaried position that includes competitive and equitable compensation based on experience and skill level of the individual.