The role: The successful candidate will need the ability to contribute and take ownership on a variety of challenges associated with the backend development. They will be working closely with our small and passionate in-house product development team who focus in different areas including: product design, data science, bio-sensing, IoT and audio systems. The Backend Developer role involves taking features from conceptualisation and prototyping through to production and maintenance, it will ideally suit someone with broad production experience using Ruby on Rails/ Dockers/ PostgreSQL and Python. Ruby/Rails will be the most important area of experience for this role. We expect the candidate to be able to bring their expertise for designing for maintainability, reliability and scalability to the fore. The role suits a candidate who has excellent existing backend technology knowledge but also maintains a thirst for expanding their expertise, can concisely communicate their ideas to cross-functional team members and can balance their workload to effectively meet the needs of the business. We are considering remote workers for the role, so ability to do this effectively is important.
A bit about the backend: The backend manages all audio, bio-sensor and usage data, sensor data processing and (ML based) algorithms, personalised audio recommendation system and is used for ongoing data science and research purposes. Ruby on Rails is used for the main backend app.
About the Company:
Kokoon Tech is an award winning, venture capital backed, health and wellness start-up based in London with a mission to help the world relax and sleep better. Kokoon Tech are doing this by gaining a uniquely deep understanding of the link between relaxation/sleep and audio content. Their apps, associated backend systems and sensor-enabled products provide adaptive audio content and coaching clinically shown to induce and protect relaxation. After shipping their first headphone product in 2018 they have shipped over 27,000 units to over 50 countries.
• Competitive salary
• Generous share option
• Pension scheme
• Friendly/dynamic team
Role experience requirements:
• 5+ years professional Backend Development experience with Ruby on Rails.
• Active Admin
• Containerisation (Docker)
• Data migration and analysis
• Sidekiq job scheduling (or equivalent)
• RSpec and preparing Integration and end-to-end tests (or equivalent)
• System monitoring tools (such as New Relic/Airbrake)
• Degree in Software/Computer Science (or similar technical/engineering degree) or proven experience in development and design of backend applications.
• Full software development lifecycle experience from design phase through to production and maintenance.
• Good understanding of design patterns
• Excellent professional skills.
• Experience with Github SCM
Desirable skills/experience include
• Machine Learning
• Data Science