What is Underdog?
Founded by a team of industry veterans, Underdog was born with the idea that bringing strategic innovation to sports gaming and entertainment is the key to success in an exceptionally competitive market. Underdog has quickly established itself as a leader in the space, and is committed to building the best sports gaming platform in the industry — and supporting the most passionate community of sports fans while doing it!
At Underdog, we’re not only about creating these awesome products, but also about growing our culture of passion, ownership, and fun! We believe that great companies are made out of great people. Our continual aim is to create an inclusive environment for everyone, at all levels, to achieve their highest potential at work.
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll join a small team of amazing engineers to collaboratively build the next generation of Underdog’s industry leading products!
Please note, Underdog is a US based company and no sponsorship is available for this position at this time.
What you’ll do:
- Write, test, review, and maintain code using Ruby
- Evaluate and recommend solutions & suggestions to the team
- Maintain and improve internal APIs
- Document the systems you help build, monitor, and maintain
- Coordinate with product, design, and support to organize priorities
- Improve the scalability and performance of the platform
Who you are:
- 4 years of software engineer experience
- Extremely comfortable using Ruby, RoR, and PostgreSQL
- A superb communicator both written and verbal
- You’re collaborative by nature, and passionate about fostering best practices for the betterment of the team
- Obsessed with scaling & improving the platform’s performance
- Eagerness to test, track & document your work
- A top level problem solver comfortable ideating and implementing solutions suggested by the team
- Experience with microservices
Even better if you have…
- Experienced with relational databases
- Familiar with API design
Underdog Sports is firmly committed to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Our unique culture was built on the foundation of a safe and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We highly value the mental, physical, and emotional health of our employees, and are continuously asking ourselves: what can we do better? Underdog is an equal opportunity employer and doesn’t discriminate on the basis of creed, race, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability status or any other defining characteristic. Our targeted compensation rate for this position is between $150,000 and $200,000, depending on experience, plus equity. Think your skills are exceptional and warrant higher pay? Apply anyway! If we agree, we’re willing to negotiate. Below you’ll find a few of our perks:
- Unlimited PTO (we’re extremely flexible with the exception of the first few weeks before & into the NFL season)
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Company paid Health, Dental, Vision plan option for employees and dependents
- 401k Match & FSA
- Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid Scheduling – we are 100% VIRTUAL FIRST!
- A $500 home office allowance
- $100 in UD credit
- Support for learning and development
- Book club – expense your books!
- Monthly raffle to win a sports ticket reimbursement of up to $500 (including game day snacks!)
- Lastly, an extremely transparent, fun, and engaging culture where you will grow both personally and professionally