Backend Software Engineer II
About the Role:
The Backend Software Engineer II will be an engineering manager and a key member of the company who is responsible for core aspects of design, architecture and functionality, interfacing with third-party systems, and ensuring reliability and performance throughout our stack.
We want someone who has demonstrated experience delivering a high-quality product on an impressive timeline, while simultaneously communicating and documenting trade-offs made along the way. The candidate who will be successful in this role will be an experienced engineer and a thoughtful leader who is a great person to work alongside, eager to learn and adaptable to a quickly evolving business. In this role you will be reporting directly to our Head of Engineering and assisting with managing nearly 20 engineers.
To give you an idea of how our team works, we manage tasks in Jira, follow best practices for Git commits and pull requests, and eschew sprints in favor of Kanban. Our backend is written in Elixir (and uses Phoenix), which powers our React front-end. Postgres is our main data store, and all of this is deployed on AWS.
What you will do:
- Write code that is parallel, distributed, and fault-tolerant
- Manage complex interactions with third-party systems at scale
- Help design systems that embody excellent engineering practices
- Have 3-5 direct reports you are responsible for mentoring, guiding, and reviewing in their technical and professional development
- Write beautiful backend code to accomplish our core business needs
- Compose queries that take full advantage of Postgres' strengths
- Work with front-end programmers to design and publish API endpoints that are performant and easy to use
- 4-8 years of backend programming experience for web-based applications with at least 4 years of management/leadership experience
- This role will be 60%-70% Management and 40%-30% Hands on Programming
- Solid understanding of underlying web technologies, especially the HTTP protocol
- Proficiency in at least one dynamic or functional programming language - Elixir is of course ideal, but coming from Ruby, Python, TypeScript, F#, Scala or others is fine too
- Aptitude to pick up a new language and frameworks
- Strong understanding of relational databases, indexing, and SQL queries
- Already know your way around git, and can work with agile and kanban
- Love solving problems, and strive to improve processes and workflows and make others lives easier
- Take pride in writing code that is well-tested and documented for maintainability
- Able to enter into and handle conflict with others in a humble, honest manner
- Can handle competing priorities in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Are authorized to work in the U.S.
What we Offer:
- Competitive Base Compensation: $112,000 - $150,000 based on experience
- Stock Options: Offered on a one-year vesting schedule and four-year cliff period
- Growth Opportunity: Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Semsee team
- Our Culture: An inclusive company culture that is being built intentionally to foster stimulating, healthy, meaningful and long lasting work relationships.
- Hybrid Distributed Workplace: Offices in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Columbus, OH +Remote Team Members
- COVID Vaccination: Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to be in-office, travel and safely attend company funded events.
- Time Off: 4 weeks (20 Days) + 9 company observed holidays; Total 29 Days/Year
- Benefits: 70% Funded Medical/Vision/Dental; 100% Funded Life Insurance; 401k, Roth IRA; Generous 12 Weeks Paid Baby Bonding Leave, +more
We're a group of hard working, intellectually curious, and creative individuals disrupting the $120 Billion small commercial insurance industry. Why? Because we believe enabling small commercial businesses to obtain insurance coverage is a BIG deal.
Independent insurance agents have been hungry for a solution like our breakthrough marketplace platform and the nation's most established insurance carriers have a strong appetite for it as well.
We need to find the right people for the right roles to help our team keep up with the market demand that we have been among the first to tap into. Come join our rapidly growing team! We are well-funded by reputable investors including 01A, D.E. Shaw Co, and Markel.