Forum: Ruby ruby, irb and iconv with translit

Stefan S. (Guest)
Greetings.

I've been trying to find out why sorting a list of German names failed
on
both my local Gentoo box and my remote Debian server. Can somebody
please
explain the following in simple words?

$ ruby -v
$ irb -v
irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)

$ cat test.rb | irb
>> $KCODE='u'
=> "u"
>> require "iconv"
=> true
>> $conv  = Iconv.new("ASCII//TRANSLIT", "UTF-8")
=> #<Iconv:0x2ace62d57090>
>> $arg = "ärger"
=> "ärger"
>> $asc = $conv.iconv($arg)
=> "?rger"
>> puts $asc.size
5

ok, translit fails. This might be a bug somewhere,
but then why does the following work, where I called
iconv interactively, but with the same string?

$ irb -r test.rb
5
>> watch_this = $conv.iconv($arg)
=> "aerger"
>> watch_this.size
=> 6

Thanks,
s.
Stefan S. (Guest)
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:33:18 +0100, Stefan S. wrote:

> => "?rger"
> => "aerger"
>>> watch_this.size
> => 6

Another facet of the problem:

$ irb -r test
5
$ irb
>> require "test"
6
=> true

I'd really like to know what irb does to make iconv behave...
s.
Stefan S. (Guest)
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:47:44 +0100, Stefan S. wrote:

>> I've been trying to find out why sorting a list of German names failed
>> on both my local Gentoo box and my remote Debian server. Can somebody
>> please explain the following in simple words?

The folks at #ruby-de helped me out with some brain waves and the
problem originates with locale settings. To wit:

$ echo Ärger | LC_CTYPE=de iconv -f utf8 -t ascii//translit
?rger
$ echo Ärger | LC_CTYPE=de_DE iconv -f utf8 -t ascii//translit
AErger

But while you can get the iconv tool to behave by setting LC_CTYPE,
there's no such luck with ruby:

$ LC_CTYPE=C ruby test.rb
"?rger"
$ LC_CTYPE=de_DE ruby test.rb
"?rger"

For the record, test.rb (saved as utf8) looks like:

$KCODE='u'
require "iconv"
$conv  = Iconv.new("ASCII//TRANSLIT", "UTF-8")
p($conv.iconv("Ärger"))

s.