Forum: Ruby Ruby as an alternative to Applescript article

Jaypee (Guest)

There is an article on O'Reilly's MacDevCenter about rb-appscript
a way to use Ruby as a front-end to interact via AppleEvents with
applications.
There is a dmg to install everything. It's a pprt from Python so
the examples are in Python syntax.

However, the only example Ruby does not work.

Anyone has tried it yet?
J-P
Jaypee (Guest)
Jaypee a écrit :
> Anyone has tried it yet?
> J-P

Sorry, I forgot an essential include (include Appscript). With
that the example works fine.

J-P
has (Guest)
On 3 Mar, 08:49, Jaypee <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> There is an article on O'Reilly's MacDevCenter about rb-appscript
> a way to use Ruby as a front-end to interact via AppleEvents with
> applications.
> There is a dmg to install everything. It's a pprt from Python so
> the examples are in Python syntax.
>
> However, the only example Ruby does not work.

You're referring to the .dmg at <http://rubyforge.org/frs/?
group_id=2346&release_id=9094>, yes? That .dmg should include the
following:
- 'README' file
- binary PPC and i386 .pkg installers for Apple-installed Ruby on
Tiger
- an 'rb-appscript-0.3.0' folder containing the full source
distribution, including full documentation (the 'doc' sub-folder) and
over a dozen sample Ruby scripts (the 'sample' sub-folder).

While rb-appscript is a port of the original Python appscript, there
shouldn't be any Pythonisms left in rb-appscript or on its website. If
I've missed any, please let me know exactly where and I'll go fix 'em
ASAP.

HTH

has