Forum: Ruby Re: Smallest FizzBuzz program

Alexey K. (Guest)

>Nice work. I removed ,x from |i,x| on a whim and it still works - 57
>bytes! (you have to count file size which as an EOF char)

I think you don't have to. Otherwise you have to count hard disk drive
sector size (a file cannot have it's size < sector size, which is
usually 512 byte) :)
Brian A. (Guest)
Alexey K. wrote:

>> Nice work. I removed ,x from |i,x| on a whim and it still works - 57
>> bytes! (you have to count file size which as an EOF char)
>
> I think you don't have to. Otherwise you have to count hard disk drive
> sector size (a file cannot have it's size < sector size, which is
> usually 512 byte) :)

Well, I didn't make the rules. When you upload a file to the following
site (if it wasn't down):

http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?FizzBuzz

The site saves the uploaded file and computes the file size. Regarding
your sector size, that's a separate issue. Save the code to a file and
do:

ls -l fizzbuzz.rb

Surely we can knock one measly byte off of this sucker :)

Brian
Mat S. (Guest)
On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Brian A. wrote:

> Surely we can knock one measly byte off of this sucker :)

Omit the new line:

-rw-r--r-- 1 schapht schapht 56 Mar  2 15:35 fizzbuzz.rb

-Mat
Brian A. (Guest)
Mat S. wrote:

>> ls -l fizzbuzz.rb
>>
>> Surely we can knock one measly byte off of this sucker :)
>

> Omit the new line:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 schapht schapht 56 Mar  2 15:35 fizzbuzz.rb

Interesting. For me, vim shows 56 bytes of actual code, but ls shows 57
bytes, so I assumed that included an EOF character. There is no newline
in my file.
Mat S. (Guest)
On Mar 2, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Brian A. wrote:
> Interesting. For me, vim shows 56 bytes of actual code, but ls
> shows 57
> bytes, so I assumed that included an EOF character. There is no
> newline
> in my file.

You sure?  If you do File.read(filename) in irb is there a \n at the
end?
-Mat
Brian A. (Guest)
Mat S. wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Brian A. wrote:
>> Interesting. For me, vim shows 56 bytes of actual code, but ls shows 57
>> bytes, so I assumed that included an EOF character. There is no newline
>> in my file.
>
> You sure?  If you do File.read(filename) in irb is there a \n at the end?
> -Mat

My bad - dude, you're a genius. Little did I know that Vim was sneaking
in an extra newline on me :(

So it's official, we're tied for 1st now - checkout comp.lang.ruby on:

http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?FizzBuzz

I don't think I'll ever do a golf challenge again - what a time sync!