Forum: Ruby Rubygems Weirdness

Steven H. (Guest)

I've been experiencing some strange behavior with rubygems.

Background:

Solaris 10 x86
ruby 1.8.4
rubygems-0.9.2

I dont' have access to the default rubygems repository, so I'm trying to
set one up in my user dir. I know about the poisoned gem index thing and
I've removed all the old cache files... so I'm pretty sure that's not
where the problem lies. Anyway, I setup my GEM_HOME environment
variable, downloaded rubygems 0.9.2 and installed it in my home
directory using:

|$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/path/to/my/home
$ ruby setup.rb setup
$ ruby setup.rb install

<output>
Here's where it gets weird.  At the end of the installation, it tells
me:

  Successfully built RubyGem
  Name: sources
  Version: 0.0.1
  File: sources-0.0.1.gem
Removing old RubyGems RDoc and ri...
Installing rubygems-0.8.11 ri...
Installing rubygems-0.8.11 rdoc...

As of RubyGems 0.8.0, library stubs are no longer needed.
Searching $LOAD_PATH for stubs to optionally delete (may take a
while)...
...done.
No library stubs found.
</output>

What????? 0.8.11

Ok, so then I run [gem update --system] and I get:

<output>
Upgrading RubyGems...
Attempting remote upgrade of rubygems-update
Attempting remote installation of 'rubygems-update'
Successfully installed rubygems-update-0.9.2
Updating version of RubyGems to 0.9.2
Installing RubyGems 0.9.2
---> bin
<--- bin
---> lib
---> lib/rbconfig
<--- lib/rbconfig
---> lib/rubygems
<--- lib/rubygems
<--- lib
---> bin
<--- bin
---> lib
---> lib/rbconfig
<--- lib/rbconfig
---> lib/rubygems
<--- lib/rubygems
<--- lib
rm -f InstalledFiles
---> bin
mkdir -p /opt/csw/bin/
install gem /opt/csw/bin/
setup.rb:466:in `chmod': Not owner - /opt/csw/bin/gem (Errno::EPERM)
        from setup.rb:466:in `rm_f'
        from setup.rb:513:in `install'
        from setup.rb:1093:in `verbose_off'
        from setup.rb:512:in `install'
        from setup.rb:1200:in `install_files'
        from setup.rb:1199:in `install_files'
        from setup.rb:1179:in `install_dir_bin'
        from setup.rb:1328:in `traverse'
        from setup.rb:1345:in `dive_into'
        from setup.rb:1326:in `traverse'
        from setup.rb:1320:in `exec_task_traverse'
        from setup.rb:1315:in `exec_task_traverse'
        from setup.rb:1175:in `exec_install'
        from setup.rb:894:in `exec_install'
        from setup.rb:712:in `invoke'
        from setup.rb:681:in `invoke'
        from setup.rb:1359
RubyGems system software updated
</output>

Ok, this is bizarre.  It's trying to update the system wide version of
rubygems?

What if I try running [/path/to/my/home/bin/gem update --system] ????
Same results as above.

My GEM_HOME environment variable is set so????

running [gem env] shows me that my gem environment *seems* to be ok:

  - VERSION: 0.8.11 (0.8.11)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /path/to/my/home/lib/ruby/gems
  - GEM PATH:
     - /path/to/my/home/lib/ruby/gems
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

I really need some help with this as I have no idea why rubygems are
behaving this way.

Regards,
Steven

Steven H. (Guest)
I've been experiencing some strange behavior with rubygems.
> that's not where the problem lies. Anyway, I setup my GEM_HOME
> environment variable, downloaded rubygems 0.9.2 and installed it in my
> home directory using:
>
> |$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/path/to/my/home
> $ ruby setup.rb setup
> $ ruby setup.rb install

Ok, I figured out the problem, I just had to setup an environment
variable:

RUBYLIB=:/path/to/my/home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8

That fixed it.

Oddly enough, I don't see this information anywhere on the rubygems
manual page:
http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/3#page83
Eric H. (Guest)
On Feb 28, 2007, at 11:52, Steven H. wrote:

> Ok, I figured out the problem, I just had to setup an environment
> variable:
>
> RUBYLIB=:/path/to/my/home/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
>
> That fixed it.
>
> Oddly enough, I don't see this information anywhere on the rubygems
> manual page:
> http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/3#page83

Can you file a bug in the RubyGems tracker?  Otherwise nobody will
remember to fix it.