Forum: Ferret [ANN] Ferret 0.11.2-rc3 released

David B. (Guest)
Hey guys,

I've just removed the -fno-stack-protector flag from the release so
those who had trouble because of this should now be able to install
0.11.2-rc3. If you have any problems with this release, please let me
ASAP.

Cheers,
Dave
John L. (Guest)
Hi Dave,

as per your request, a script to reproduce the errors I reported
earlier.

http://johnleach.co.uk/downloads/ruby/ferret/ferre...

in one terminal run: ferret_killer1.rb index
in another terminal: ferret_killer1.rb search

it will create and overwrite an index called `pwd`/ferret_killer/

on my i686 Ubuntu Edgy box and my i686 Ubuntu Dapper box (different
hardware), I get Segfaults on both indexer and searcher, and a bunch of
other random bugs (EOF, file not found etc.)

tested with 0.10.14 and 0.11.2-rc3

Hope this helps!

John.
--
http://johnleach.co.uk
David B. (Guest)
> it will create and overwrite an index called `pwd`/ferret_killer/
>
> on my i686 Ubuntu Edgy box and my i686 Ubuntu Dapper box (different
> hardware), I get Segfaults on both indexer and searcher, and a bunch of
> other random bugs (EOF, file not found etc.)
>
> tested with 0.10.14 and 0.11.2-rc3
>
> Hope this helps!

Thats great thanks John. I'll let you know when I've fixed it.
Andy R. (Guest)
on 2007-03-01 10:37
David B. wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've just removed the -fno-stack-protector flag from the release so
> those who had trouble because of this should now be able to install
> 0.11.2-rc3. If you have any problems with this release, please let me
> ASAP.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Dave,

Thanks for getting out this release.  Unfortunately, I am still seeing
some crashing w/r/t ferret:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.2/lib/ferret/index.rb:384: [BUG]
Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

This is a Rails site that has multiple servers (mongrel) and also
multiple background processes that access the same index.  I was under
the assumption that this new version was supposed to fix these issues,
but perhaps that is not true?  This is an ubuntu box.

Thanks for your help!

-Andy
David B. (Guest)
On 3/1/07, Andy R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> multiple background processes that access the same index.  I was under
> the assumption that this new version was supposed to fix these issues,
> but perhaps that is not true?  This is an ubuntu box.
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hi Andy, I wish that is was just one or two problems to fix but there
are still a few issues. If you can reproduce this bug in a self
contained test it would be really helpful.

Cheers,
Dave