Forum: Ruby on Rails Where to place rails projects on a linux server?

Ben J. (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 20:14
I just got my own server installed and ready to go with red hat on it. I
was just curious where the proper place would be to place all of my
rails projects?

usr/local?
usr/local/src?

/rails_projects?

Just need to know the proper place to put them.

Thanks!
David H. (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 20:28
Personally I just create a user for each project, and host it a
subdirectory.

For a petworld project
/home/petworld/production/live

Ben J. wrote:
> I just got my own server installed and ready to go with red hat on it. I
> was just curious where the proper place would be to place all of my
> rails projects?
>
> usr/local?
> usr/local/src?
>

> /rails_projects?
>
> Just need to know the proper place to put them.
>
> Thanks!
Anton A. (Guest)
Develop or deploy?

On my home machine I have a main rails subdirectory under my home
directory
where I do development.

On my home machine: Deployment via Apache is under the servers home
directory - /var/www/  on my machine.

If you are on a hosting service it depends on where they give you space.
On Dreamhost I have lots of directories above and beyond the one for
each
domain and subdomain, but they all have to be under my home - that's the
way
Dreamhost works.

If you have  VPS then its as if you owned the machine ... but stick with
some scheme, don't dance around.   I'd put deployed stuff under /var/www
but
then I'm used to *NIX conventions.
Ben J. (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 20:45
David H. wrote:
> Personally I just create a user for each project, and host it a
> subdirectory.
>
> For a petworld project
> /home/petworld/production/live

That's not a bad way to do it, but I think creating a user for actual
users is probably a better idea. Then I can just group each user and
give each group access to a specific project. Just wondering where to
put this projects directory where it makes sense, since many different
users will be accessing a specific project.