Forum: Ruby on Rails Implement Message console

Rails junkie (Guest)
What would be the best way to implement Message console in RoR?
What I am trying to accomplish is to broadcast all the events for user
activity for a session in a comsole DIV.
e.g. If usr deleted something, it would show up 'You deleted this' ,
if they added something, it will show up as 'You added this' . This
don't need to persist after  user logs off but i do want to persisit
it for admin
Because I would want admin to monitor those messages and  keep an eye
on what's going into the system.
for admin , mesasge would show up as 'User A deleted this , 'User A
added that'

Also i want to use the same message console window to capture admin
notifications/announcements. e.g. If admin want to announce a meeting,
it should show up in mesage console of the user.

Now If the user  wasnt logged on when it was announced, user show see
the mesasage when they log in.

Any suggestios?
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 04:32
Rails junkie wrote:
> What would be the best way to implement Message console in RoR?
> What I am trying to accomplish is to broadcast all the events for user
> activity for a session in a comsole DIV.
> e.g. If usr deleted something, it would show up 'You deleted this' ,
> if they added something, it will show up as 'You added this' . This
> don't need to persist after  user logs off but i do want to persisit
> it for admin
> Because I would want admin to monitor those messages and  keep an eye
> on what's going into the system.
> for admin , mesasge would show up as 'User A deleted this , 'User A
> added that'
>
> Also i want to use the same message console window to capture admin
> notifications/announcements. e.g. If admin want to announce a meeting,
> it should show up in mesage console of the user.
>
> Now If the user  wasnt logged on when it was announced, user show see
> the mesasage when they log in.
>
> Any suggestios?

I would create a Log model.  Then use callbacks in the models, like
after_create, after_update and after_destroy to create records.

  class Foo < ActiveRecord::Base
    after_create :log_creation

    def log_creation
      Log.create(
        :message => "a new #{self.class} with id of #{id} was created",
        :other_attr => '...'
      )
Rails junkie (Guest)
Thanks for taking time to reply.