Forum: Ruby on Rails undefined method `gem' for main:Object (NoMethodError)

(Guest)
fiercefe@sh113 [~/public_html/ruby_test]# ruby script/server
./script/../config/boot.rb:29: undefined method `gem' for main:Object
(NoMethodError)
from script/server:2

I did: rails ruby_test

then I tried to create a controller as shown above and incurred
errors, wondering if you know what's wrong. Additionally I can't run
the command: ruby script/server to start the server on the ruby
folder.

Any idea what to do from here? Should I contact my hosting?
Bill W. (Guest)
I think you need to start your webserver from the application root
directory.

hth,
Bill
Jean-François Trân (Guest)
2007/2/19, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> the command: ruby script/server to start the server on the ruby
> folder.
>
> Any idea what to do from here? Should I contact my hosting?

You've got Rails 1.2.2 and Rubygems < 0.9.0, and gem
replaces require_gem method (see :

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/2/6/rails-1-2-2...

). So downgrade Rails or upgrade RubyGems.

   -- Jean-François.

--
Ruby ( http://www.rubyfrance.org ) on Rails ( http://www.railsfrance.org
)