Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails on Windows 98?

Matthias T. (Guest)
on 2007-02-18 23:54
I just asked this on instiki-devel
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instiki-devel/2007-...
is there any way to run Rails 1.2.2 on Windows 98? It looks like Rails
1.1.2 is the last to run on Win98
http://forum.rubyonbr.org/forums/1/topics/216?page=2

any more information on that? Can't Rails be patched to work again on MS
Windows98 and similar?
Is this just the session store?

thanks for any hints,
Matthias T.
Steve L. (Guest)
Not worth the effort to patch for an OS that the company that makes it
doesn't even support anymore.

On 2/18/07, Matthias T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Is this just the session store?
>
> thanks for any hints,
> Matthias T.
>
> --

-Steve
http://www.stevelongdo.com
Phlip (Guest)
Steve L. wrote:

> Not worth the effort to patch for an OS that the company that makes it
> doesn't even support anymore.

Try CygWin - it supports everything back to Win95. All the Ruby and
Rails
code should see a normal GNU/POSIX environment...

--
  Phlip
Carl L. (Guest)

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
Phlip (Guest)
Carl L. wrote:

> I can't help but ask... why?

Why what? Why not polish the hard drive and give this long-suffering
hardware a break, with a modern Linux distro?

I dunno...

--
  Phlip
Carl L. (Guest)

-carl

On 2/18/07, Phlip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> --
>   Phlip
>   http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
Matthias T. (Guest)
on 2007-02-19 02:31
Carl L. wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to quote the original email (not yours) and couldn't
> help to wonder why one would try to get rails running on windows 98.

I'm trying to have instiki ( http://instiki.org ) available on the most
platforms possible. some people i know of are using instiki on old
windows versions (even windows95). since the current (stable) instiki
version runs perfectly on win98 i am thinking if version 0.12 should
break the chain.
that's the main reason why i wanted to know if there is a chance to run
rails 1.2 on win98. if there isn't any, i will make one last old-windows
bugfix release.

-matthias