Forum: Ruby on Rails has anyone ever seen this before?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Angela G. (Guest)
on 2007-02-17 18:07
I don't really understand what has gone wrong here all my controllers
etc are in place correctly but I get this error message in my log:

Parameters: {"action"=>"view", "id"=>"home.html", "controller"=>"page"}
Rendering layoutfalseactionhome within layouts/front
Rendering page/home
Completed in 0.11562 (8 reqs/sec) | Rendering: 0.08692 (75%) | DB:
0.00388 (3%) | 200 OK [http://www.en.scottisharchitecture.com/home.html]

And the pages will not display.

The site works fine on my winxp machine but not on the Linux server.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bill W. (Guest)
on 2007-02-17 19:37
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Angela,

Angela Greenwood wrote:
>
> I get this error message in my log:
>
> Parameters: {"action"=>"view", "id"=>"home.html", "controller"=>"page"}
> Rendering layoutfalseactionhome within layouts/front
> Rendering page/home
> Completed in 0.11562 (8 reqs/sec) | Rendering: 0.08692 (75%) | DB:
> 0.00388 (3%) | 200 OK [http://www.en.scottisharchitecture.com/home.html]
>
> And the pages will not display.

Actually, that's not an error message at all.  That message says
everything
went OK.  The app did exactly what you told it to do and didn't
encounter
any problems.  Without more info re: what you told it to do, it's hard
to
offer concrete advice.

> The site works fine on my winxp machine
> but not on the Linux server.

Check for hard-coded paths in your code.  '\' vs '/' will cause
problems,
but they usually get flagged with 'file not found' errors.  CSS errors
don't
though.

Best regards,
Bill
Jodi S. (Guest)
on 2007-02-17 19:46
(Received via mailing list)
On 17-Feb-07, at 12:37 PM, Bill W. wrote:

>> Rendering page/home
> any problems.  Without more info re: what you told it to do, it's
> though.
>
> Best regards,
> Bill

Actually, I'm seeing a similar symptom over the past few days -
rendering blank pages, with no errors in the log (200 OK) - I'm
currently attributing it to exceptions being trapped somewhere in the
internals. I've seen it happen with bugs in my helpers + with with
usage of the url helpers. Occasionally (don't know the conditions)
I'll see a normal exception - so it's not a generic exception/logging
problem.

In my case, log_level is set to :debug. I'm running on trunk (r6157)

Debugging is a bit tricky now.

Cheers,
Jodi
General Partner
The nNovation Group inc.
www.nnovation.ca/blog
Andrew S. (Guest)
on 2007-02-17 21:07
(Received via mailing list)
I don't know if it's related, but I've run across pages not showing.
Here's
what happened:

I updated code for the new from block syntax:

<% form_tag("/posts") do %>
...
<% end %>

Even though our intention was to upgrade to 1.2.2, I didn't realize they
had
the project frozen at rails 1.1.6 (vendor/rails) which doesn't know this
syntax, so we got blank pages.  We removed the vendor/rails dir so it
would
use the 1.2.2 install and everything was fine.

The only other time I got a blank page was with Internet Explorer and it
was
due to an html error on my part.

I hope this is of some use...
-andy

--
Andrew S.
Angela G. (Guest)
on 2007-02-18 16:32
Bill W. wrote:
> Hi Angela,
>
> Angela Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> I get this error message in my log:
>>
>> Parameters: {"action"=>"view", "id"=>"home.html", "controller"=>"page"}
>> Rendering layoutfalseactionhome within layouts/front
>> Rendering page/home
>> Completed in 0.11562 (8 reqs/sec) | Rendering: 0.08692 (75%) | DB:
>> 0.00388 (3%) | 200 OK [http://www.en.scottisharchitecture.com/home.html]
>>
>> And the pages will not display.
>
> Actually, that's not an error message at all.  That message says
> everything
> went OK.  The app did exactly what you told it to do and didn't
> encounter
> any problems.  Without more info re: what you told it to do, it's hard
> to
> offer concrete advice.
>
>> The site works fine on my winxp machine
>> but not on the Linux server.
>
> Check for hard-coded paths in your code.  '\' vs '/' will cause
> problems,
> but they usually get flagged with 'file not found' errors.  CSS errors
> don't
> though.
>
> Best regards,
> Bill

Bill,

Hi thanks for your response.

What I am telling it to do is, I have a view controller setup:

# this is the main view controller
  def view
    simple_name = Page.clean_input(params[:id])
    @page = Page.find_by_simple_name(simple_name)
    if @page.template.size > 0
      render :action => @page.template, :layout => 'layouts/front'
    else
      render(:layout => "layouts/front")
    end
  end

Which looks for the .html extension, searches my database for the
template and then display the page using the layouts/front.

It seems to be finding all the view/pages because if I remove or rename
any of them I get an error message(template couldnot be found).  It is
just not displaying anything in the browser.

In firefox I get the 500 error from the .htacces file and explorer I get
a page cannot be displayed.

I have set up a sub domain to access the /public directory and got rid
of any redirects but I still seem to be getting the same message:

http://www.public.scottisharchitecture.com/home.html

My hosting comapny have upgraded to ruby-1.8.5 and rubygems-0.9.0, this
is where the problems started.  They are telling everthing is working
fine their end.

I am very confused, does this information help at all?

Angela.
Bill W. (Guest)
on 2007-02-18 17:01
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Angela,

Angela Greenwood wrote:
> It seems to be finding all the view/pages because if I remove
> or rename any of them I get an error message(template could
> not be found).  It is just not displaying anything in the browser.
>
> In firefox I get the 500 error from the .htacces file and explorer
> I get a page cannot be displayed.
>
> My hosting comapny have upgraded to ruby-1.8.5 and
> rubygems-0.9.0, this is where the problems started.  They
> are telling everthing is working fine their end.

It sounds to me like there's something wrong with some setting, maybe in
Rails and maybe in some other component, underneath the application
itself.
When I have a problem like this, which I do all too often ;-), I work
hard
to cut the app back to the bare bones in an effort to get a repeatable
problem that's one step away from a non-problem.

You mentioned having a subdomain set up.  First thing I'd do is try to
get
the basics of what you're doing, which is selecting the view to find
from
the database and then rendering it, working with no subdomain involved.
Then take the step that introduces the subdomain and see if that is, in
fact, where the problem shows itself.

Once you're there, if you haven't 'seen the light' yourself, I'd
recommend
reposting with your new detail to the rails-deploy list.  The same folks
are
here, but the signal-to-noise ratio for this type of problem is much
lower
over there.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Best regards,
Bill
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.