Forum: Ruby on Rails book about rails internals

Chris H. (Guest)
Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?
Xavier N. (Guest)
On Feb 17, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Chris H. wrote:

> Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
> more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

None as of today. People do submit proposals to write about that
topic, including me myself. It is a very interesting topic that in my
opinion would interest most Rails developers. Since we are a notably
curious community (my appreciation). I hope some book will be
eventually published.

-- fxn
Bakki K. (Guest)
David Black's book "Ruby for Rails" has a chapter called 'Techniques
for exploring the Rails source code' which is the closest thing I've
come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of
only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding
through the code.

-bakki
Chris H. (Guest)
Yeah, I have that book and have read the chapter.  Thanks for the input
tho.

Chris
Ezra Z. (Guest)
Hi~

On Feb 17, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Chris H. wrote:

>> come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of
>> only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding
>> through the code.
>>
>> -bakki
>>
>> On 2/17/07, Chris H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
>>> more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

  I just gave a talk entitled "Exploring the Request/Response
Lifecycle through the Mongrel and Rails Source Code" I posted the
slides online here:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2007/02/15/exploring-t...
lifecycle-through-the-mongrel-and-rails-source-code

  It's not as good without audio but it  takes a tour through the
rails source from the perspective of a request response cycle.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Z.
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- removed_email_address@domain.invalid
-- Engine Y., Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
Carl L. (Guest)
I think the best thing to do is to actually go through the code!

Books are good to get started with something (like, learn the basics
of rails), but after a certain point, you just gotta roll up your
sleeves and dig in.

-carl

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)