Forum: Ruby Asserting exception messages?

Daniel S. (Guest)
I've been looking around, but I haven't found a simple way of asserting
that a raised exception has a specific message. RSpec can do this quite
easily:

    lambda{ @fixture.foo }.should_raise(FooError,
       'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!')

I know I can do this:

    def test_raises_foo_with_correct_message
      @fixture.foo
    rescue FooError => e
      unless e.message == 'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!'
        flunk 'raised with wrong message'
      end
    else
      flunk 'did not raise exception'
    end

But that's rather inelegant. This is what I'd like to have:

  assert_raise FooException, BarException,
               'out of foo and bar. try baz!' do
    @fixture.foo
  end

So what's your thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel S.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Feb 16, 2007, at 11:36, Daniel S. wrote:

> I've been looking around, but I haven't found a simple way of
> asserting
> that a raised exception has a specific message. RSpec can do this
> quite
> easily:
>
>     lambda{ @fixture.foo }.should_raise(FooError,
>        'out of foo, try our delicious bar instead!')

So does Test::Unit.

e = assert_raise BlahError do ... end
assert_equal 'something', e.message
Daniel S. (Guest)
On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 06:17 +0900, Eric H. wrote:

> So does Test::Unit.
>
> e = assert_raise BlahError do ... end
> assert_equal 'something', e.message

Very nice, didn't think about checking the return value!

Thanks!