Forum: Ruby bitmap manipulation

Jim B. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 17:47
I would normally use FreeImage, but I cannot find a Ruby wrapper for
this?

So if I can't find a wrapper for FreeImage is there any other suitable
libraries that I can use with Ruby?

Thanks,
Jim.
Alex LeDonne (Guest)
On 2/16/07, Jim B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I would normally use FreeImage, but I cannot find a Ruby wrapper for
> this?
>
> So if I can't find a wrapper for FreeImage is there any other suitable
> libraries that I can use with Ruby?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ImageScience.html

appears to wrap FreeImage.
Tim H. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 17:53
Jim B. wrote:
> I would normally use FreeImage, but I cannot find a Ruby wrapper for
> this?
>
> So if I can't find a wrapper for FreeImage is there any other suitable
> libraries that I can use with Ruby?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org/ImageScience.html
Jim B. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 18:18
No ImageScience uses Free Image but does not expose much of it, it
appears to be a simple lib for creating thumbnails.

Thanks,
Jim.
Alex LeDonne (Guest)
On 2/16/07, Jim B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> No ImageScience uses Free Image but does not expose much of it, it
> appears to be a simple lib for creating thumbnails.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

If you have ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick available, RMagick...
http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
sur max (Guest)
have u tried RMagick ?

i found it very useful, a lots of functionality easy to implement.

Thumbnail can be made really easily with RMagick.

I am using RMagick in my rails based captcha plugin SimpleCaptcha(
http://expressica.com/2007/02/06/simple-captcha-re...)
and its working absolutely fine.
Jim B. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 18:57
Rmagic looks like it will work a treat.

Many thanks again,
Jim.
sur max (Guest)
example to generate THUMBNAIL using RMagick

require 'RMagick'
include Magick

img = Image.read("image/path/my_image.jpg").first
thumb_img = img.thumbnail(50, 50)

thumb_img.write("image/path/my_image_thuumb.jpg")

check out more details here
http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/image3.ht...