Forum: Ruby on Rails Getting Started with RoR

Dave (Guest)
Hey guys!  I've been hearing so much about how great this RoR stuff is
that I've decided to put some effort into learning it, but I'm having
a problem.  I've been trying for about two weeks now to just get going
with it but I'm not having much luck.  What I'm specifically trying to
do is install and get running the latest versions of rails, ruby,
mongrel and apache on a Debian 4.0 system and learn how to start
developing web based applications with it.  So, pretty much
everything.  :)  Does anyone know where I can find some online
tutorials or know of some good books I can buy that will help me with
this stuff?  I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.  Thanks!
Dave
Stephen B. (Guest)
All together now: 1, 2, 3

"Agile Web D. with Rails 2nd Ed"

This is the standard book to get you started and take you to a good
level of understanding and ability with Rails - it should be (and
probably is) on even the most seasoned rails developers' book shelves:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

or from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agile-Development-Rails-Pr...

Enjoy!

Steve
Dave (Guest)
Thanks!  I'll definitely get that.
Dave
Jodi S. (Guest)
On 16-Feb-07, at 10:40 AM, Steve B. wrote:

> or from amazon:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agile-Development-Rails-Pragmatic-
> Programmers/dp/0977616630/sr=8-1/qid=1171640364/
> ref=pd_ka_1/203-2562284-3587166?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Steve

good one steve. slammed that topic but good!

note that subject lines with FAQ will be picked up by Faisal's[1]
(semi)automatic faq service.

so please do you part, and [FAQ] a posting today

Jodi

[1] http://www.faisal.com/docs/ror-list-faq.html
Joon Y. (Guest)
If you're just starting out, my recommendation is to read Why's
Poignant Guide to Ruby first.  It's free!  After that, try Lynda.com's
Essential Ruby on Rails.  It's alot better than reading a book.  You
can read me review at http://www.rubyhead.com/2007/01/19/ror-video-
courses-lynda-vs-vtc/ which compares Lynda and VTC.

Good luck.