Relative power of Rails vs C#

Hello,

We have a quality, but farily small, rails backed site running that I
developed last summer. The site is currently in our svn repo, and we
use capistrano to deploy to our linux based web server. The site is
rock solid, and the development effort was moderate. In fact, it was
actually a pleasure to build.

Now, we want to build a much larger site, both in terms of
capabilities of the site and the number of users. We have some
consultants recommending C# as the dev language of choice, a language
and dev environment with which I am not familiar. Can anyone comment
on the relative power of Rails vs C#? Anyone know of any feature
comparisons?

I’m sure this site will need more than one developer for the initial
build. However, there is some concern here over whether Rails
developers are available. Is there a ready market for Rails
developers?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rich

theduz wrote:

We have a quality, but farily small, rails backed site running that I
developed last summer. The site is currently in our svn repo, and we
use capistrano to deploy to our linux based web server. The site is
rock solid, and the development effort was moderate. In fact, it was
actually a pleasure to build.

That’s a good sign - the pleasure part.

Now, we want to build a much larger site, both in terms of
capabilities of the site and the number of users. We have some
consultants recommending C# as the dev language of choice, a language
and dev environment with which I am not familiar. Can anyone comment
on the relative power of Rails vs C#? Anyone know of any feature
comparisons?

They are reciting MS’s FUD doctrines - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. So
if MS is big, then their products must be scalable. “If you go with
one of those hare-brained Open Source solutions, then it might be fun
to code with, but after you get bigger it will probably run slower!”
etc…

I’m sure this site will need more than one developer for the initial
build. However, there is some concern here over whether Rails
developers are available. Is there a ready market for Rails
developers?

Rails will probably require fewer coders, and fewer lines of code, to
get more done.

Rails follows the well-understood LAMP profile of scaling. Amazon,
Google, and Yahoo all use Linux Apache MySQL and Perl/Python/PhP - or
their close equivalents. To scale, you add more servers. They are
cheaper than programmers.

Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand ← NOT a blog!!

Hi - my 2 cents worth & some random thoughts…

There is no real answer to your question. Rails is a framework & c# is a
language.

Rails is web framework build on top of the programming language Ruby.

I’ve build sites in the Microsoft world [asp, vb web classes & vb.net]
as well as some java tomcat stuff, then moved to php, & now am now using
rails. I’ve lead teams building & managing sites for banks, .com
startups, & now a entertainment industry site with big plans.

From an engineering perspective, both microsoft & rails sites can scale
to whatever your requirements [unless your google, ebay, amazon, or
yahoo]. Both need a degree of thought & a certain level of expertise.

I’d have no hesitation in saying that an experienced rails developer
will be much more productive than an experienced c# developer. The
amount of code that you need to write to accomplish something in ruby
will generally be much less than c#, as well as less complex [MVC v’s
.net].

You might need to spend a bit more on your infrastructure, but developer
time is much more expensive than infrastructure.

As an exercise to understand your future headaches, pick a random task
that you know you will be doing & search the web for documentation &
examples on how to achieve it in each technology.

Consultants will normally recommend something that they know works [ie:
they probably have expertise in], and is risk free so they can’t be
blamed when it all goes wrong. To be fair to them, they are presenting
one of the industry standard technologies.

Getting good resources can be a problem if your location is a bit out of
the way.

rgds,

  • matt.

theduz wrote:

[...]

perhaps this is interesting for you.
http://www.castleproject.org/monorail/index.html

it’s an MVC Web Framework for .NET, inspired by ActionPack.
Runs with .NET on Windows and with mono Linux.

i have no experience with it. but perhaps it’s usefull.

perhaps these are interesting too:
http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/ruby_vs_aspnet_1.htm
http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/aspnet_ruby_agility.htm

HTH