Forum: Ruby on Rails structure of controllers

Tarscher (Guest)
Hi all,

I want to build a website for restaurants. When a user goes to
www.site.com/restaurants all the information of that restaurants is
shown. When he goes to www.site.com/restaurants2, all the info of
restaurants2 is shown. Eventually I also want to provide other
functionality than showing info. I'd like to add userlogin per
restaurant (adding comments, pictures,...).

The problem is that I have a hard time figuring out how to organize my
controllers. Let's say I want to add a commenting system (controller
comment). This would then result in ww.site.com/comment although I
want i to be www.site.be/nameofrestaurant/comment where all the
comment actions taken are related to nameofrestaurant.

I actually want one code base without the need to copy my code for
every restaurant that gets added. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
Stijn
jeniffer f (Guest)
There is no need to make the controller for the comments, just make the
controllers according to your restaurants and define comments action in
every controller (related restaurants) so that when there is any comment
about the restaurant, information will be displayed like
www.domain.com/your_controller_name/comments means
www.domain.com/restaurant_name/comments

---
Jeniffer F.
http://firstruby.wordpress.com
Chris W. (Guest)
On 2/14/07, Tarscher <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> The problem is that I have a hard time figuring out how to organize my
> controllers. Let's say I want to add a commenting system (controller
> comment). This would then result in ww.site.com/comment although I
> want i to be www.site.be/nameofrestaurant/comment where all the
> comment actions taken are related to nameofrestaurant.

This is the perfect place to take advantage of Rails 1.2's RESTful
features.

Check out the PeepCode -- http://peepcode.com/products/restful-rails

It's cheap and will explain everything you could possibly want to know
about accomplishing your goal.

--
Chris W.
http://errtheblog.com