Forum: Ruby can we write the code version control system.

kumar (Guest)
Can We write the code in Ruby to know the Frequently changing classes in
SVN (like version control system) which are check in.

My doubt,
1) Is it worthy to do in PYthon...?

2) else, which scripting language is best one for this..?

Regards ,
kumar
John W. (Guest)
On Feb 12, 10:27 pm, kumar <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can We write the code in Ruby to know the Frequently changing classes in
> SVN (like version control system) which are check in.

I, for one, have absolutely no idea what you're trying to ask here.
You might need to explain what you're trying to accomplish in a bit
more detail.

> My doubt,
> 1) Is it worthy to do in PYthon...?

Well... maybe...but this is a Ruby mailing list. ;-)

--
Regards,

John W.
Tim P. (Guest)
> Hi,
> Can We write the code in Ruby to know the Frequently changing classes in
> SVN (like version control system) which are check in.
>
> My doubt,
> 1) Is it worthy to do in PYthon...?

If you know Python best, sure!

> 2) else, which scripting language is best one for this..?

That depends on your objective.  If you want it done fast, then pick
the language you know best.  If you want to learn a new language (like
ocaml) then pick that one.  If you are working with others on this
project (or it is going to be maintained by someone else) then get
their input on what languages they know or feel comfortable with.

The svn team has a set of swig wrappers for their C libraries. So you
can use pretty much any scripting language you like.  Be forewarned
that the swig generated interfaces are fairly low level -- nothing
like the command line svn tool.

Blessings,
TwP
Giles B. (Guest)
In other words, it's something pretty simple, so simple that the
language you use for it might not make any difference at all.
Garance A Drosehn (Guest)
On 2/13/07, kumar <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
> Can We write the code in Ruby to know the Frequently changing classes in
> SVN (like version control system) which are check in.

I do not know what you are looking to do.  You need to provide a more
detailed description of exactly what you want to do.  It sounds like you
want some simple front-end to either CVS (as you mentioned in previous
messages) or Subversion.  You can certainly do some cvs or svn
commands via IO.popen(), and then parse the output which comes
back from those commands.  I believe subversion also has some sort
of specific "bindings" for using subversion from ruby (or python), but I
have no idea if similar things exist for CVS.

If you want to write a brand new version-control system, something
to *compete* against CVS or subversion, then that is a much much
larger job.  You can do that too, of course, but you need to have a
very good understanding of what is needed in a source-control system.
And you must be prepared to do a lot of work writing it, if you want
something which will can do a good job with all the things that CVS,
subversion, perforce, mecurial, or git already do.  There are already
a number of very busy projects which are trying to create the "best"
version-control system.

My doubt,
> 1) Is it worthy to do in Python...?

 Ruby or python, whichever one you're more comfortable with.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Feb 12, 2007, at 22:27, kumar wrote:

> Hi,
> Can We write the code in Ruby to know the Frequently changing
> classes in
> SVN (like version control system) which are check in.

SVN post-commit hooks?  yes.

> My doubt,
> 1) Is it worthy to do in PYthon...?
>
> 2) else, which scripting language is best one for this..?

I've written them in shell when shell would make them shortest.