Forum: Ruby on Rails Mac Software Recommendations for UML modeling???

Greg H. (Guest)

Can any Mac users (I'm on a Macbook) recommend software for UML
modeling, in
particular Swim Lanes (transition diagrams) and object/ER diagrams?

Is there are open-source (i.e. free) software on the Mac to do this?  If
not
what are the main choices in the commercial versions?

Thanks
Greg
bryanl (Guest)
On Feb 12, 4:38 pm, "Greg H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any Mac users (I'm on a Macbook) recommend software for UML modeling, in
> particular Swim Lanes (transition diagrams) and object/ER diagrams?
>
> Is there are open-source (i.e. free) software on the Mac to do this?  If not
> what are the main choices in the commercial versions?
>
> Thanks
> Greg

You have a few free (as in speech or beer) options.

Dia - http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/
Poseidon CE - http://www.gentleware.com/uml-software-community-
edition.html

I always recommend Omnigraffle -
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
as well
Philip H. (Guest)

> Dia - http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/
> Poseidon CE - http://www.gentleware.com/uml-software-community-
> edition.html

I've never used Poseiden CE (heck, haven't used any of these) but, I
wouldn't say it's free...

"Export options such as printing and saving are available with a license
rental or rent subscription.  The cost-free version can be used to view,
create, and edit models, but the export options are not available."

Not being able to save your files is going to make it pretty
worthless...
now maybe their copy is just wrong on that and it's just printing or
some
other export feature instead of saving...
Bryan L. (Guest)
On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Philip H. wrote:

>>> Greg
>>
>> You have a few free (as in speech or beer) options.
>>
>> Dia - http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/
>> Poseidon CE - http://www.gentleware.com/uml-software-community-
>> edition.html
>
> I've never used Poseiden CE (heck, haven't used any of these) but, I
> wouldn't say it's free...

I'm gonna retract offering Poseidon CE.  They now charge for it and
have weird terms.  I would stay far away from this software as possible.
Anton A. (Guest)
Philip H. said the following on 02/12/2007 06:20 PM:
> other export feature instead of saving...
Which is why I use Umbrello :-)

Its not as capable as the paid-for Poseiden or Visual-paradigms tools
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/commu...

But
  it can produce output.
     * Print
     * generate code (including ruby!)
     * XMI files
     * a whole slew of image formats including X image maps, EPS, SVG
       and PNG

When I say its not as capable as VP,well, give VP a try and you'll see
what
I mean.  But at $60 the personal version isn't going to cripple you.
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/editi...

--
inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
Sava C. (Guest)
Greg H. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any Mac users (I'm on a Macbook) recommend software for UML
> modeling, in particular Swim Lanes (transition diagrams) and object/ER
> diagrams?
>
> Is there are open-source (i.e. free) software on the Mac to do this?  If
> not what are the main choices in the commercial versions?

I've tried Dia, Umbrello (both open source), Poseidon and Visual
Paradigm
(commercial), but my choice on Mac is definitely OmniGraffle
(commercial)! It's
very intuitive and easy to use, supports a whole lot of diagram types
(not only
UML), though it can't generate code or XMI.

But if you want to draw activity and ER diagrams the tool getting in
your way
constantly, OmniGraffle is an excellent choice.

--
Sava C.
Greg H. (Guest)

re OmniGraffle - I had a look at this but it seems to be a drawing type
package, as opposed to a tool that specifically supports UML diagrams
(e.g.
swim lanes / sequence diagrams)?

Greg