Forum: Ruby Win32OLE doesn't work with Outlook Express?

baon (Guest)
Hi there,

I am trying to retrieve some mails from my Outlook Express mail-box.

However, when using the 'WIN32OLE.connect('Outlook
Express.Application')', I
will get the following error message:

WIN32OLERuntimeError: unknown OLE server: `Outlook Express.Application'
    HRESULT error code:0x800401f3
      Invalid class string
        from (irb):23:in `initialize'
        from (irb):23:in `new'
        from (irb):23

I have tried 'Outlook', 'Outlookexpress' with upper/lower case as well.
It
doesn't work anyway.

It seems to me that WIN32OLE could support Outlook, but not Outlook
Express.
Is that true?

If so, would you guys please give me some ideas on how to accomplish my
task
of retrieving data from Outlook Express (*.dbx formats) using Ruby?

Regards and Thanks,
Bob
Dave B. (Guest)
Hi baon,

> I am trying to retrieve some mails from my Outlook Express mail-box.
>
> However, when using the 'WIN32OLE.connect('Outlook Express.Application')', I
> will get the following error message:

Outlook Express doesn't have a COM interface.

See here for some ways you can deal with .dbx files:

Cheers,
Dave
Masaki S. (Guest)
Hello,

In message "Win32OLE doesn't work with Outlook Express?"
    on 07/02/12, "baon" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> I have tried 'Outlook', 'Outlookexpress' with upper/lower case as well. It
> doesn't work anyway.
>
> It seems to me that WIN32OLE could support Outlook, but not Outlook Express.
> Is that true?

Yes. because Outlook Express does not provide the OLE automation
interface, but Outlook does.
Win32OLE access the OLE automation interface.

Unfortunately, you can not control Outlook Express like Outlook
using any other Language (VBScript, Perl, Python, ... etc.) which
access the OLE automation interface.

> If so, would you guys please give me some ideas on how to accomplish my task
> of retrieving data from Outlook Express (*.dbx formats) using Ruby?

Sorry, the site is written by Japanese only, but I hope
the following URL help you.
 http://d.hatena.ne.jp/j0hn/20070102/1167725911

  Regards,
  Masaki S.
baon (Guest)
Hi Masaki,

Your message is really helpful!
Thanks a great deal!

Regards,
Bob

In message "Win32OLE doesn't work with Outlook Express?"
    on 07/02/12, "baon" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> I have tried 'Outlook', 'Outlookexpress' with upper/lower case as well. It
> doesn't work anyway.
>
> It seems to me that WIN32OLE could support Outlook, but not Outlook
Express.
> Is that true?

Yes. because Outlook Express does not provide the OLE automation
interface, but Outlook does.
Win32OLE access the OLE automation interface.

Unfortunately, you can not control Outlook Express like Outlook
using any other Language (VBScript, Perl, Python, ... etc.) which
access the OLE automation interface.

> If so, would you guys please give me some ideas on how to accomplish my
task
> of retrieving data from Outlook Express (*.dbx formats) using Ruby?

Sorry, the site is written by Japanese only, but I hope
the following URL help you.
 http://d.hatena.ne.jp/j0hn/20070102/1167725911

  Regards,
  Masaki S.
baon (Guest)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your link.

Anyway, I think I will try to find a Ruby parser or something like that.
It
is not a easy task for me to integrate C++ with Ruby (using SWIG for
some
wrapping work maybe).

Regards and Thanks,
Bob