Forum: Ruby on Rails Trouble with functional tests

Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2007-02-08 21:28
I'm having trouble making my functional tests work.  I'm trying to
simulate an action performed while a user is logged in, but it only
redirects me to the signin page as if no user was logged in.

Here's my functional test:

  def test_signout_with_valid_user
    get :signout, {}, { :user => users(:jeff).id }
    assert_redirected_to home_path
  end

The first user in my users.yml fixtures file is named jeff, with an id
of 1.

Here's my admin controller's signout method:

  before_filter :check_authentication, :except => [:signin, :show,
:reset_passwords]

  def signout
    session[:user] = nil
    session[:intended_action] = nil
    redirect_to home_path
  end

Here's my application.rb check_authentication method:

  def check_authentication
    unless session[:user]
      session[:intended_action] = params
      redirect_to signin_path

When I use the actual application, it works fine--I'm able to sign in,
sign out, everything works as expected.  But when I run the functional
test, I get:

test_signout_with_valid_user(AdminControllerTest)
[test/functional/admin_control
ler_test.rb:42]:
response is not a redirection to all of the options supplied
(redirection is <{"
action"=>"signin", "controller"=>"admin"}>), difference:
<{"action"=>"index", "c
ontroller"=>"comics"}>

What am I doing wrong?  As far as I can tell, I'm following exactly how
it's described in Agile Web Dev v2, page 194.

Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Jeff
Jason R. (Guest)
Use @request.session instead of parameters to #get.

Jason
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2007-02-08 21:35
Jason R. wrote:
> Use @request.session instead of parameters to #get.
>
> Jason

Thanks, that worked!

Is the Agile Web Dev book outdated already?  Sigh.

Jeff
Thomas M. (Guest)
is using @request.session a workaround or is that the new correct
syntax?

is get :signout, {}, { :user => users(:jeff).id }  deprecated in
1.2.2?

i had read that get :signout, {}, { :user => users(:jeff).id }  not
working was a bug and will be fixed in 1.2.3, but if i shouldn't be
using that syntax anyway because it is deprecated then i will move my
tests to the new syntax.

thank you, in advance.

On Feb 8, 2:35 pm, Jeff C.man <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Jason R. (Guest)
It's a bug and will (is?) fixed in Rail 1.2.3

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7372

Jason
Thomas M. (Guest)
Okay, thank you.