Forum: Rails deployment Why cannot see webpage, only display directories (webrick)

Yan (Guest)
on 2007-02-07 20:14
I think I almost got it. But other than see the default welcome page in
the public folder I cannot see other pages that I created using
scaffold.

When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
it only displays the directories under it.

I am using webrick. I guess it comes with rails.
I have seen people saying using mongrel. Which one is better in terms of
working with apache?

I am still not very clear about how it actually works. Any suggestion of
any books, tutorials for beginners of those server configrations?

Thanks!
(Guest)
It sounds like you are still working within a development deployment,
rather than a deployment environment.

> When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
> it only displays the directories under it.

where are you typing this name? You should be accessing your
application at http://localhost:3000

Best,
Jamie
Yan (Guest)
on 2007-02-08 00:50
I can see the pages on the server (local host). localhost works fine.
But when I am using the other computer and typed domain. I can only see
the directory list.

> It sounds like you are still working within a development deployment,
> rather than a deployment environment.
>
>> When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
>> it only displays the directories under it.
>
> where are you typing this name? You should be accessing your
> application at http://localhost:3000
>
> Best,
> Jamie
dagny (Guest)
Webrick is useful only for development, not production. It is way too
slow. There's a some message thread here on mongrel that you might
look at.

If you are seeing the rails welcom message, you may have a file named
index.html in your app/public directory. Rename this to something like
oldindex.html and retry.
Robby R. (Guest)
Yan wrote:

Yes, you'll want to use Mongrel for this and usually people have
something in front of it (Apache, Nginx, Pound, Lighttpd).

> I am still not very clear about how it actually works. Any suggestion of
> any books, tutorials for beginners of those server configrations?

I think that there is some mention of this in the Agile Web Dev with
Rails book.

Some of our customers are working on deployment tips here:

* http://docs.planetargon.com/Deployment

Good luck!

Robby

--