Forum: Ruby Masters Thesis on Ruby

Suraj K. (Guest)
on 2007-02-06 04:50
Dear Ruby community,

Last week, I submitted by Masters Thesis[1] on -- to summarize greatly
-- using Ruby to bring agile software development practices like TDD and
BDD to the cold, dark realm of *hardware* development.

I am very thankful to Matz and the community for the Ruby language,
which -- to say the very least -- saved me from the year-long drudgery
of researching and producing the trillionth (read: boring) thesis on
microprocessor caches. :-)

May there be more research and papers on/with Ruby in academia! Fiat
Lux!

[1] http://ruby-vpi.rubyforge.org/papers/
Kaspar S. (Guest)
Hi Suraj,

> Last week, I submitted by Masters Thesis[1] on -- to summarize greatly
> -- using Ruby to bring agile software development practices like TDD and
> BDD to the cold, dark realm of *hardware* development.

Solid work! You probably just have created a useful tool!

kaspar
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Kaspar S. wrote:

> kaspar

Cold, dark hardware? I know they're trying to reduce power consumption
of servers, but cold? :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
Suraj K. (Guest)
on 2007-02-08 07:33
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Cold, dark hardware? I know they're trying to reduce power consumption
> of servers, but cold? :)

Ah, their goals reflect their world, it seems. It is a place so cold and
dark that you shiver with fear and cringe with disgust upon its sight;
for the development techniques it employs are those left behind by the
software world of 10 years ago.

According to one of my advisors, it was not until a few years ago that
the hardware industry finally accepted SCM (version control) systems.
Before that, they refused to hear of such nonsense because file backups
worked just fine!

Shocking. O_O

P.S. This is, of course, a brash generalization! Do correct me.
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Suraj K. wrote:

> According to one of my advisors, it was not until a few years ago that
> the hardware industry finally accepted SCM (version control) systems.
> Before that, they refused to hear of such nonsense because file backups
> worked just fine!
>
> Shocking. O_O
>
> P.S. This is, of course, a brash generalization! Do correct me.

I remember in the days before flash memory firmware, and before even
UV-erasable firmware, when firmware was in good old ROM. Man, it took
days to get anything changed. And every time I complained, I was told,
"Be patient! After all, ROM wasn't built in a day!"

<ducking>

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
Martin DeMello (Guest)

> Cold, dark hardware? I know they're trying to reduce power consumption
> of servers, but cold? :)

Superconductors ya us!

martin