Forum: Ruby call to arms: list readers

Alex C. (Guest)
Custom Search Engine for Ruby http://rubykitchensink.ca

At the moment we're searching about 300 blogs, around
5000 ruby projects (all of rubyforge plus others) and
the ruby-lang mailing list.

We know there is a lot more out there that we haven't scratched(or
scraped)
yet,
in particular we're looking for mailing-lists.

If your project has a mailing list <strong>I'd really like to know about
it</strong>.

If anyone knows a central repository of all or even some ruby project
mailing lists I'd be interested to know about that as well.
Peter S. (Guest)
Alex C. wrote:
> Custom Search Engine for Ruby http://rubykitchensink.ca
>
> At the moment we're searching about 300 blogs, around
> 5000 ruby projects (all of rubyforge plus others) and
> the ruby-lang mailing list.
>
> We know there is a lot more out there that we haven't scratched(or scraped)
> yet,
> in particular we're looking for mailing-lists.

Yup, and basically any listing of ruby-related documents (or anything)
which you think would make sense to search. Blogs, projects, reviews,
articles, ideas, simply anything.

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
Alex C. wrote:

> If your project has a mailing list <strong>I'd really like to know about
> it</strong>.
>
> If anyone knows a central repository of all or even some ruby project
> mailing lists I'd be interested to know about that as well.

Have you done a search on del.icio.us for the "ruby" tag? I assume
you're using some automated tools to eliminate duplications, so a blind
search of del.icio.us might only turn up a few new ones.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
Peter S. (Guest)
> Have you done a search on del.icio.us for the "ruby" tag? I assume
> you're using some automated tools to eliminate duplications,

Yes, the whole process is automated...
so a blind
> search of del.icio.us might only turn up a few new ones.

Thanks for the idea! I think searching for 'ruby' on dzone is another
interesting possibility...

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
_why (Guest)
On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:34:23PM +0900, Alex C. wrote:
> If your project has a mailing list <strong>I'd really like to know about
> it</strong>.

There's a complete list of all Rubyforge mailing lists right here:

I don't know if this helps at all.  I only mention it because quite
a few of those lists seem to be absent from the search.

_why
Shot (Piotr S.) (Guest)
Alex C.:

> Custom Search Engine for Ruby http://rubykitchensink.ca

> At the moment we're searching about 300 blogs, around 5000 ruby
> projects (all of rubyforge plus others) and the ruby-lang mailing
> list.

Is there a reason why neither ruby-lang.org
nor ruby-doc.org are included?

-- Shot
Peter S. (Guest)
Shot (Piotr S.) wrote:
> Alex C.:
>
>> Custom Search Engine for Ruby http://rubykitchensink.ca
>
>> At the moment we're searching about 300 blogs, around 5000 ruby
>> projects (all of rubyforge plus others) and the ruby-lang mailing
>> list.
>
> Is there a reason why neither ruby-lang.org
> nor ruby-doc.org are included?

Well, sometimes it is the easiest to miss the obvious.
It is not included simply because - as dumb as this may sound - we
forgot about it.
This also illustrates that we really need your help to locate all the
relevant sites, no matter how commonsense they look to you. I think you
need no more trivial ruby page than ruby-lang, yet we missed it.

Please keep sending your ideas...

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
Alex C. (Guest)
On 2/4/07, _why <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 11:34:23PM +0900, Alex C. wrote:
> > If your project has a mailing list <strong>I'd really like to know about
> > it</strong>.
>
> There's a complete list of all Rubyforge mailing lists right here:

This is exactly what I've been looking for.  How did I miss it?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, its been fixed.
All of the rubyforge mailing lists are now floating around the sink.

I've activated another refinement to the sink named "mailing-lists" so
by clicking that link after searching for an item you will be magically
transported
to "LIST LAND" where all your dreams of searching thousands of mailing
lists
simultaneously come true.

Enjoy
Harold H. (Guest)
On 2/4/07, Alex C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Custom Search Engine for Ruby http://rubykitchensink.ca

Wow. This thing is slick. Thanks for setting it up. (:

-Harold
Alex C. (Guest)

> Wow. This thing is slick. Thanks for setting it up. (:

I'm glad to hear someone likes it :)

I've just added a code link to the site so if anyone is interested in
embedding a search box
on their site its just a matter of cut and paste now.

Also, I've put up a Google Gadget link so you can do a one-click to add
the
search box to your Google home page.

Anyway, thats the last I'll say about this for now unless anyone has
questions.

Enjoy
Shot (Piotr S.) (Guest)
Peter S.:

> Shot (Piotr S.) wrote:

>> Is there a reason why neither ruby-lang.org
>> nor ruby-doc.org are included?

> Well, sometimes it is the easiest to miss the obvious.

:)

> This also illustrates that we really need your help to locate all
> the relevant sites, no matter how commonsense they look to you.

For whomever whants to help: a good idea is, from time to time, to
repeat a Kitchen Sink search on Google proper and see whether any
relevant results are not suspiciously missing on the Sink.

For an automated solution (if you have the logs), maybe take the
top X Kitchen Sink searches (top ten per day?), run them through
Google with ruby appended to the query, and compare the results?

-- Shot
Avdi G. (Guest)
On 2/4/07, Alex C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I'm glad to hear someone likes it :)
>
> I've just added a code link to the site so if anyone is interested in
> embedding a search box
> on their site its just a matter of cut and paste now.
>
> Also, I've put up a Google Gadget link so you can do a one-click to add the
> search box to your Google home page.

Any chance we could get an OpenSearch [1] plugin linked to that page,
so that FireFox and IE7 can add it to their search bars?

I took a crack at creating one, but it's pretty minimal and probably
incorrect.  I'll include it all the same, as a starting point.

[1]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_Open...
SonOfLilit (Guest)
From using it a bit, I noticed that search relevancy is very low.

Most first pages on anything list almost exclusively linux sites.

Perhaps making sure the word "ruby" is part of every search? Is that at
all
possible with the tool?

Aur S.
Peter S. (Guest)
SonOfLilit wrote:
>  From using it a bit, I noticed that search relevancy is very low.
Could you elaborate a bit more please? Low compared by which measure or
compared to what? I am not questioning your claim or nitpicking, just
would like to know your opinion to improve the results, so please try to
describe the problem in a bit more detailed way.

> Most first pages on anything list almost exclusively linux sites.
Which search terms did you use? Could you list a few please?

> Perhaps making sure the word "ruby" is part of every search? Is that at all
> possible with the tool?
Yep, it is possible. However, the point is that there are *only* ruby
sources searched - so if you feel that the result pages you got back are
non-ruby, irrelevant or otherwise wrong, please let us know (by
providing the wrong URLs if possible) so we can fledge out the problem
and improve the sink!

Thanks,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
Alex C. (Guest)
On 2/5/07, Avdi G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > search box to your Google home page.
>
> Any chance we could get an OpenSearch [1] plugin linked to that page,
> so that FireFox and IE7 can add it to their search bars?
>
> I took a crack at creating one, but it's pretty minimal and probably
> incorrect.  I'll include it all the same, as a starting point.
>
> [1]
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_Open...

Avdi, this is fantastic thanks for mentioning it. I dont have any
experience
with creating
these myself so you're guess at this point is probably better than mine.

Is there any info I can give you that will help?

Tonights actually my wifes birthday (sshhh.. dont tell her I mentioned
that
she just turned 29 on the mailing list or I'll be in trouble)  so I wont
have time tonight but
I'll have a deeper look tomorrow.

tk,
Avdi G. (Guest)
On 2/6/07, Alex C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Is there any info I can give you that will help?

1. An example or two of a canonical RKS search request URL, with all
required parameters (and without extraneous parameters).

2. A 16x16 icon

3. Does Google co-op support getting search term suggestions via JSON?