Forum: Ruby gem issue

Tim P. (Guest)
I'm working on Ruby program that will have a resource directory for
storing configuration, logging information, etc.  I've used the
__END__ and DATA  trick in my main ruby program to store some sane
defaults for the resources directory if this is the first time the
program has been run by a user.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'mylib'

unless File.exist?(ENV['HOME'] + '.myrc')
  File.open(ENV['HOME'] + '.myrc/defaults', 'w') do |fd|
    fd.write DATA.readlines

# use defaults here

__END__
hash_key_1 : 1
hash_key_2 : 2
etc              : and some more

This works very well when my application is run directly.  But when
installed via gems a new ruby script is created that loads my
executable script :(  This causes the __END__ keyword in my ruby
script to stop working, and the DATA constant is not set.

Is there a way to tell the gem installer "Hey, quit being so smart and
just install my executable file without wrappering it with your own
ruby script".

Blessings,
TwP
Trans (Guest)
On Feb 3, 4:38 pm, "Tim P." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> unless File.exist?(ENV['HOME'] + '.myrc')
> etc              : and some more
>
> This works very well when my application is run directly.  But when
> installed via gems a new ruby script is created that loads my
> executable script :(  This causes the __END__ keyword in my ruby
> script to stop working, and the DATA constant is not set.
>
> Is there a way to tell the gem installer "Hey, quit being so smart and
> just install my executable file without wrappering it with your own
> ruby script".

Something like:

  File.read(__FILE__).split("__END__").last

But why not store it in a separate config file?

T.
Tim P. (Guest)
On 2/3/07, Trans <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > __END__
> > just install my executable file without wrappering it with your own
> > ruby script".
>
> Something like:
>
>   File.read(__FILE__).split("__END__").last
>
> But why not store it in a separate config file?

I'm trying to be clever in the way I bootstrap this config file into
existence.  Using __END__ and DATA seemed very Rubyish and clever.
Alas that gems are smarter than I am.

I just dumped it into a here doc in the file.  Just as effective.

There is a way to tell gem not to create a wrapper, but the user has
to do it when they install the gem ...

gem install --no-wrapper mygem

However, gem is not honoring the executable bit in the file permission
:/  So the symbolic link to my executable still does not work because
the executable is no longer executable <sigh>.

TwP