Forum: GNU Radio Playstation 3

Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
Hello,

I was at my local Costco tonight and noticed they have the 60GB PS3 for
$699.  I almost bought one but decided to check a Costco in NH first.

73 Eric
Robert McGwier (Guest)
They are $599 at my local Target. So much for bargains at Costco.

Bob

Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine
Frank B. (Guest)
Robert McGwier wrote:
> They are $599 at my local Target. So much for bargains at Costco.

> Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
>> I was at my local Costco tonight and noticed they have the 60GB PS3 for
>> $699.  I almost bought one but decided to check a Costco in NH first.

$699 gets you one from Terrasoft with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
Mine shipped this afternoon.

Frank
Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
Frank B. wrote:
> Frank

Hello,

Looks like Terrasoft was very conservative when they mentioned a time
frame of March or April.

The Costco one is a bundle with an extra wireless controller.  Likely a
good deal if you use it for games.  I will check out Target and Walmart.
 I looked at the Walmart website and it appeared you could only buy
packages that drove the price up to $900 or more.

Is the 20 GB version missing something important for linux/GNURadio use?

Is it possible to put a bigger hard drive in? 20 and 60 GB hard drives
are so last century. :)

73 Eric
Eric B. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:04:36AM -0500, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:

> Is the 20 GB version missing something important for linux/GNURadio use?
>
> Is it possible to put a bigger hard drive in? 20 and 60 GB hard drives
> are so last century. :)

Besides the larger disk, the 60GB model adds:

  802.11 b/g
  Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash slots

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/TechnicalS...

Eric
Robert McGwier (Guest)
Eric B. wrote:

>   802.11 b/g

This does not work under PPC Linux on PS3 so far as I can find.  I
searched for hours on Sony, YDL,  and qj.net (the worlds slowest site)
before giving up and buying a 50 foot gigE capable cable.

>   Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash slots
>

> http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/TechnicalS...
>
> Eric

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine
Eric A. Cottrell (Guest)
Hello,

What are PS3 owners on the list using for video displays?  Do I need a
HDMI monitor with HDCP?  The info I have says no video out the HDMI port
at all if the monitor does not have HDCP.

73 Eric
Dave Dodge (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 03:34:17PM -0500, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> What are PS3 owners on the list using for video displays?  Do I need a
> HDMI monitor with HDCP?

For DVI or HDMI, everything I've read says the signal will end up
using HDCP, even when running Linux.

Supposedly the "ps3videomode" command can configure high-resolution
output on the analog component cables.  It apparently even has RGB
(instead of YPrPb) settings but I don't know how you'd wire that up.
I have used a PS3 for games and movies with analog YPrPb at 720p and
1080i, attached to a Dell 2405 flat panel (which does not have HDCP on
its DVI port).  I haven't tried running Linux on it yet.

                                                  -Dave Dodge
Robert McGwier (Guest)