Forum: GNU Radio FC6 installation difficulties

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Brett Trotter (Guest)
on 2007-02-01 23:09
(Received via mailing list)
As you may recall, I had a working build on X86_64 with Fedora Core 6,
and
then decided to install n4hy's tree- only to expierence problems with
_gnuradio_swig_python... I totally cleaned things out and rebuilt and
reinstalled the stable tree, and was still missing
_gnuradio_swig_python.
After wasting a couple of days trying to get at least something working,
I
decided I must have broken things sufficiently to the point of requiring
a
reinstall.. so I did a clean install and checked out the stable gnuradio
again and did a new make install- only to discover to my dismay that
_gnuradio_swig python was still missing! So.. I restored from a backup
made
just before installing gnuradio and made the developers tree- which gets
me
to missing _gnuradio_swig_python_runtime instead.

Am I missing some ultra-critical step? I followed the BuildGuide for
FC5/6
to the tee.

Help, I'm losing my mind and wasting lots of valuable time.

Any tips (even suggesting operator error) are extremely welcome!
--
View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/FC6-installation-difficultie...
Sent from the GnuRadio mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Brett Trotter (Guest)
on 2007-02-01 23:10
(Received via mailing list)
Brett Trotter wrote:
> made just before installing gnuradio and made the developers tree- which
> gets me to missing _gnuradio_swig_python_runtime instead.
>
> Am I missing some ultra-critical step? I followed the BuildGuide for FC5/6
> to the tee.
>
> Help, I'm losing my mind and wasting lots of valuable time.
>
> Any tips (even suggesting operator error) are extremely welcome!
>

to clarify - I did an OS reinstall and then a clean stable build
install.
--
View this message in context:
http://www.nabble.com/FC6-installation-difficultie...
Sent from the GnuRadio mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Eric B. (Guest)
on 2007-02-01 23:52
(Received via mailing list)
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 01:08:33PM -0800, Brett Trotter wrote:
>
> As you may recall, I had a working build on X86_64 with Fedora Core 6,

There are known problems with FC* on X86_64 and the way that they
configure python.  These problems are not specific to GNU Radio.  One
person has offered to code and test a patch for this problem, but I
haven't seen the patch yet.

Eric
Alex M. (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 00:04
(Received via mailing list)
Hi there!

may I ask a related question ? So on a core duo machine, one should NOT
install Fedora core 6 but instead install something like mandrake or
fedora core 5 so that GNU Radio runs smoothly ?

Please advice.

Thank you,
Alex.

Eric B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote: On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 
01:08:33PM
-0800, Brett Trotter wrote:
>
> As you may recall, I had a working build on X86_64 with Fedora Core 6,

There are known problems with FC* on X86_64 and the way that they
configure python.  These problems are not specific to GNU Radio.  One
person has offered to code and test a patch for this problem, but I
haven't seen the patch yet.

Eric
Trond D. (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 01:06
(Received via mailing list)
2007/2/1, Eric B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
Who is working on this? A temporary fix is to make a very small
modification to configure, which installs everything into
$PREFIX/lib64, instead of $PREFIX/lib and $PREFIX/lib64. I will post
instructions for this if somebody is interested.

--
Trond D.
Trond D. (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 01:11
(Received via mailing list)
2007/2/1, Alex M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
>

I am running GNU Radio on FC6 x86_64, and it works very well. Besides
the lib64 vs lib path issue, there are no problems. I have also
submitted sdcc[1] for review for inclusion in Fedora, which should
make installation of GNU Radio even easier.

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=226795

Cheers,
--
Trond D.
Trond D. (Guest)
on 2007-09-26 01:09
(Received via mailing list)
2007/2/2, Matt E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Thanks,
> Matt
>

The solution is rather cheezy, and by no means a permanent solution.
To change the install path for the python scripts, you can modify
configure (line 20728 on my computer) according to the following
instructions. This will force make install to install the both the
python scripts and the modules into the platform spesific path.

Original:
am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
print sysconfig.get_python_lib(0,0,prefix='$PYTHON_PREFIX')"
2>/dev/null ||

Modified version:
am_cv_python_pythondir=`$PYTHON -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
print sysconfig.get_python_lib(1,0,prefix='$PYTHON_PREFIX')"
2>/dev/null ||

--
Trond D.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.