Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT] Multiple versions of IE on one box for testing

Bill W. (Guest)

Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a bit
of a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if
Windows barfs.

I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have multiple
versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's avoid?

Thanks.  And sorry for the noise.

Bill
Jake C. (Guest)
On 2/1/07, Bill W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a bit
> of a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if Windows
> barfs.
>
> I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have multiple
> versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's avoid?

Bill,

I did the research sometime back, and no, you can't. Microsoft makes a
virtualpc instance available for this purpose. Read about it here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-an...

Hope this helps.

Jake
John I. (Guest)
Zack C. (Guest)
On 2/1/07, Bill W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

If you have a mac then Parallels plus a few virtual machines (each
with a different browser version) will work very nicely.

--
Zack C.
http://depixelate.com

Best regards,
Bill
    Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a
bit of a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if
Windows barfs.

    I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have
multiple versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's
avoid?

  Bill,

  I did the research sometime back, and no, you can't. Microsoft makes a
virtualpc instance available for this purpose. Read about it here:

  http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-an...

  Hope this helps.

  Jake
Clayton C. (Guest)
I use this to test browser inconsistencies

http://browsershots.org/

its pretty good so far

  _____

Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a bit
of
a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if Windows
barfs.

I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have multiple
versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's avoid?

Bill,

I did the research sometime back, and no, you can't. Microsoft makes a
virtualpc instance available for this purpose. Read about it here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-an...
machine.aspx

Hope this helps.

Jake
Bill W. (Guest)
Now that's cool.  Thanks, Clayton.  I'll give it a shot.
  I use this to test browser inconsistencies

  http://browsershots.org/

  its pretty good so far

    Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a
bit of a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if
Windows barfs.

    I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have
multiple versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's
avoid?

  Bill,

  I did the research sometime back, and no, you can't. Microsoft makes a
virtualpc instance available for this purpose. Read about it here:

  http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-an...

  Hope this helps.

  Jake
Bill W. (Guest)
Hi Zack,

I don't.  But probably will again soon.  My first box was a Mac.  Before
they came with hard drives ;-)

Best regards,
Bill
Greg D. (Guest)
On Feb 1, 2:38 pm, "Bill W." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have multiple versions of IE
on

If you have an old Linux box sitting around you can have lots of
versions of IE:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

--
Greg D.
http://destiney.com/

Normally I'd just give this a try and see what happens.  I'm under a bit
of
a time crunch at the moment, though, and can afford the loss if Windows
barfs.

I've got IE7 but need to test my CSS in IE5 & IE6.  Can I have multiple
versions of IE on my system?  If so, are there any gotcha's avoid?

Bill,

I did the research sometime back, and no, you can't. Microsoft makes a
virtualpc instance available for this purpose. Read about it here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/11/30/ie6-an...
machine.aspx

Hope this helps.

Jake
dweinand (Guest)
try this:
http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

thats what i'm using. works like a charm.

HTH
Richard L. (Guest)
Give this a try:

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE