Forum: Ruby Backticks failing in Ruby built with VC++ 8

Daniel B. (Guest)
Hi all,

Ruby 1.8.5 p12
Windows XP SP2

I'm getting a segfault when I use the backtick operator in a Ruby built
with VC++ 8:

pwd = `pwd`.chomp

It works fine with the one click (VC++ 6).

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I want to make sure I haven't done
something silly before officially filing this as a bug report.  If it is
a bug, I'm guessing I need to examine the CreateChild function in Ruby's
win32.c file. Please point me to the appropriate location if that's not
correct.

Thanks,

Dan
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 27, 2007, at 19:55, Daniel B. wrote:
> It works fine with the one click (VC++ 6).
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I want to make sure I haven't
> done something silly before officially filing this as a bug
> report.  If it is a bug, I'm guessing I need to examine the
> CreateChild function in Ruby's win32.c file. Please point me to the
> appropriate location if that's not correct.

Isn't pwd a shell builtin on WinXP?

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Daniel B. (Guest)
Eric H. wrote:

>> It works fine with the one click (VC++ 6).
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I want to make sure I haven't
>> done something silly before officially filing this as a bug report.
>> If it is a bug, I'm guessing I need to examine the CreateChild
>> function in Ruby's win32.c file. Please point me to the appropriate
>> location if that's not correct.
>
> Isn't pwd a shell builtin on WinXP?
Yes. Is that significant?

Dan
Nobuyoshi N. (Guest)

At Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:14:14 +0900,
Daniel B. wrote in [ruby-talk:236504]:
> > Isn't pwd a shell builtin on WinXP?
> Yes. Is that significant?

Really?

  C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>us
  Active code page: 437
  C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>ver

  Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

  C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>pwd
  'pwd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
  operable program or batch file.
Daniel B. (Guest)
Nobuyoshi N. wrote:
>   Active code page: 437
>   C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>ver
>
>   Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>
>   C:\Documents and Settings\nobu>pwd
>   'pwd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>   operable program or batch file.

Oh, you're right (I got it from Unix Utils). But, it doesn't matter. It
happens with any command. I tried 'dir', 'path', etc.

Regards,

Dan
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 27, 2007, at 20:14, Daniel B. wrote:
>>> pwd = `pwd`.chomp
> Yes. Is that significant?
It seems to be.

`ruby -v` works for me, but `pwd` doesn't.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Daniel B. (Guest)
Eric H. wrote:

>>> Isn't pwd a shell builtin on WinXP?
>> Yes. Is that significant?
>
> It seems to be.
>
> `ruby -v` works for me, but `pwd` doesn't.

As I responded to Nobu, it happens with any command. Besides, 'pwd'
works if you're using the Windows PowerShell. :)

Dan