Forum: GNU Radio RE: xmlto error encountered in trying to generate some doc f

Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS (Guest)

USAFA/DFCS
> wrote:
> > In the docs/exploring-gnuradio directory I have previously looked at
the
> > dial_tone.py file (and it runs and I understand the gist of it well
> > enough), but I couldn't find any actual documentation (remember,
some of
> > us are brand new to Linux). So now I figure that I need to run
"make"
> > since there is a Makefile in the directory. Right?
> >
> > However, when I try, I get the following error:
> >
> > make: xmlto: Command not found
> >
> > Is xmlto a program/utility that is supposed to already be on the FC5
> > distro, or was it something that was supposed to be installed as
part of
> > (or before) GR, or what? What is the best way to overcome this
hurdle?
> See also http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/index.html for the
> doxygen generated docs.
>
> Eric

Thanks.

I'd still be very interested in knowing what is the problem with my
system and how to correct it - also in getting the documentation
installed on my system since our application will require us to work in
places without internet access.

Also, in the Exploring GNU Radio article there is the following
statement:

For a more indepth look at how the FM receiver works, please see
"Listening to FM, Step by Step."

Where is this located?

Thanks again.
Johnathan C. (Guest)
Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS wrote:

> I'd still be very interested in knowing what is the problem with my
> system and how to correct it - also in getting the documentation
> installed on my system since our application will require us to work in
> places without internet access.

'xmlto' is a program for converting XML format files 'to' a number of
other things, including HTML.  It is something that you need to install;
it should be easily available in most distributions' binary package
archive.

-Johnathan
Eric B. (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 11:53:14AM -0700, Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS
wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I'd still be very interested in knowing what is the problem with my
> system and how to correct it - also in getting the documentation
> installed on my system since our application will require us to work in
> places without internet access.

You'll need to install the package that contains xmlto.  Sorry, I'm not
sure what package it's in.  If you're using ubuntu, you should be able
to search for it using synaptic.

> Also, in the Exploring GNU Radio article there is the following
> statement:
>
> For a more indepth look at how the FM receiver works, please see
> "Listening to FM, Step by Step."
>
> Where is this located?

Google knows:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7505