Forum: Ruby Mac OS X ruby text editor

Dark L. (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 19:22
Hello . I used to use SciTE when I used Windows. Now, as I have switched
to Mac OS 10.4, please tell me a similar free text editor for Ruby in
Mac. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
Smultron is great: http://smultron.sourceforge.net/

--Jeremy

On 1/25/07, Dark L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello . I used to use SciTE when I used Windows. Now, as I have switched
> to Mac OS 10.4, please tell me a similar free text editor for Ruby in
> Mac. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
>
> --

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Tim B. (Guest)
vim!
Jonathan D. (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 19:32
Dark L. wrote:
> Hello . I used to use SciTE when I used Windows. Now, as I have switched
> to Mac OS 10.4, please tell me a similar free text editor for Ruby in
> Mac. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

I did the same thing
I use Textwrangler
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml

It's pretty good, but it just got syntax highlighting for ruby and it
isn't great.
If you are one to pay for your editor, I've heard TextMate is good
http://macromates.com/ but I've never tried it myself.

Please let me know if you find any free editors better than TextWrangler
(I do really like it for html, it's just the lack of ruby highlighting
that bothers me)
Drew O. (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 19:48
Dark L. wrote:
> Hello . I used to use SciTE when I used Windows. Now, as I have switched
> to Mac OS 10.4, please tell me a similar free text editor for Ruby in
> Mac. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Komodo Edit was just released and is free. It has auto completion, great
syntax highlighting and a bunch of other goodies.

http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/
Todd McDaniel (Guest)
FYI. The new TextWrangler (version 2.2) includes Ruby support.

Todd McDaniel
Morton G. (Guest)
On Jan 25, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Dark L. wrote:

> Hello . I used to use SciTE when I used Windows. Now, as I have
> switched
> to Mac OS 10.4, please tell me a similar free text editor for Ruby in
> Mac. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

TextWrangler 2.2 has pretty good Ruby support and, best of all, it's
free. However, I have switched to TextMate because it has even better
Ruby support and a better regular expression engine.

I still use TextWrangler to make hard-copy listings. That's one area
where TextWrangler beats TextMate.

Regards, Morton
Rob Sayers (Guest)
Another Smultron user here.  Switched from TextWranger quite a while
ago and never looked back.
Dark L. (Guest)
on 2007-01-26 20:06
Rob Sayers wrote:
> Another Smultron user here.  Switched from TextWranger quite a while
> ago and never looked back.

OK, guys I got Smultron, and its awesome. Thanks. But I couldn't figure
out how to execute the program.
Jonathan D. (Guest)
on 2007-01-27 05:02
Yeah
I just got smultron
I think I might delete textwrangler soon...
Damian T. (Guest)
On Jan 27, 2007, at 06:02, Jonathan D. wrote:

> Yeah
> I just got smultron
> I think I might delete textwrangler soon...

Same with me!
Of course, I would like some more exquisite syntax colouring for ruby
than it is i n1.2.7 (I'm still running Panther), but it is handy, and
what's not unimportant with my G4 mini, very lightweight.
Jeremy, thank you all very much for your advice.

Your sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish
SonOfLilit (Guest)
emacs.

You can get a beautiful Mac version form Apple's site and help setting
up
~/.emacs for Ruby use from me.

Aur S.