Forum: Ruby on Rails ImageMagick and RMagick on Mac OSX

deHakkelaar (Guest)
Dear Ruby people,

I want on my Mac Mini (Mac OSX 10.4.8, intel processor) ImageMagick and
RMagick. I've tried everything and nothing works. Fink, DarwinPorts,
installing from the source... I think I've got the wrong X11, but I've
installed it with a update from 2006.

I'm very very very desperate ( I love to code, but I hate systems ;-)
).

Please help me
Petar (Guest)
You should try: http://locomotive.raaum.org/

Locomotive is RoR software for MacOSX.
It has a bundle which lets you can add RMagick.
Chris M. (Guest)
On 24 Jan, 12:34, "deHakkelaar" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I want on my Mac Mini (Mac OSX 10.4.8, intel processor) ImageMagick and
> RMagick. I've tried everything and nothing works. Fink, DarwinPorts,
> installing from the source... I think I've got the wrong X11, but I've
> installed it with a update from 2006.

I tend to use Fink for most things, but for RMagick I found it easier
to just install everything from source. It's a finicky beast.

I followed the basic steps from here:

  http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/rmagick_os_x

except for the ImageMagick configuration, which I took from here:

  http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

Also, I installed everything into /usr/local to keep it as clean and
separated as possible.

If you're still having problems, perhaps you could the specific error
message you're getting?

Chris
gmacgregor (Guest)
Gregory S. (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 04:34:51AM -0800, deHakkelaar wrote:
> I want on my Mac Mini (Mac OSX 10.4.8, intel processor) ImageMagick and
> RMagick. I've tried everything and nothing works. Fink, DarwinPorts,
> installing from the source... I think I've got the wrong X11, but I've
> installed it with a update from 2006.

The X11 version may or may not be an issue. I suspect it's fine,
however,
as long as you have include files in /usr/X11R6/include/X11.

> I'm very very very desperate ( I love to code, but I hate systems ;-)
> Please help me

I hate administration crap as well, which is why I use Fink:

fink install imagemagick10-dev
gem install rmagick

That's all I needed to do. It is very important, however, to install
imagemagick10-dev and not imagemagick-dev.

--Greg