Forum: Ruby library to rurn money into nominal value?

Peter S. (Guest)

I wonder if there is something like $subj so that I don't reinvent the
wheel. What I need is something like:

money_to_val('$12.56')    => 12.56
money_to_val('$ 12.56')   => 12.56
money_to_val('$ 12,56')   => 12.56
money_to_val('US$ 12,56') => 12.56
money_to_val('12.56$')    => 12.56
money_to_val('USD 12.56') => 12.56

maybe even

money_to_val('12 dollars, 56 cents') => 12.56

Probably what I need to cover 95% of the cases is to remove all the
non-digits except a delimiter (, or .) I guess. Or not?

Thanks,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com
Thomas H. (Guest)
Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote/schrieb
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> Probably what I need to cover 95% of the cases is to remove all the
> non-digits except a delimiter (, or .) I guess. Or not?

Attention to locales! At least these variants for 1234567.89 exist in
different countries:
  1 234 567,89
  1.234.567,89
  1,234,567.89