Forum: Ferret memcache

Raymond O. (Guest)
on 2007-01-23 01:47
Just curious, is there anyway to use memcache with a ferret index?
Thanks,
Ray
Patrick R. (Guest)
Bump.
> Just curious, is there anyway to use memcache with a ferret index?

Has anyone tried this out?

Cheers!
Patrick
Jens K. (Guest)
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:10:28AM -0500, Patrick R. wrote:
> Bump.
> > Just curious, is there anyway to use memcache with a ferret index?
> >

> Has anyone tried this out?

What exactly do you want to use memcached for in the context of ferret?

Jens

--
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH          www.webit.de
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur Jens Krämer

-Ross.
Jens K. (Guest)
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:43:14AM -0500, Ross Singer wrote:
> My guess would be as the place to store the index.

this isn't possible out of the box.

But Ferret has an abstraction layer (Ferret::Store::Directory) that
allows for in-memory or on-disk storage of an index, so it might be
possible to write a memcached storage backend as well.

Jens

> On 1/23/07, Jens K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:10:28AM -0500, Patrick R. wrote:
> > > Bump.
> > > >

> > > Has anyone tried this out?
> >
> > What exactly do you want to use memcached for in the context of ferret?

--
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH          www.webit.de
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur Jens Krämer
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Schnorrstraße 76                         Tel +49 351 46766  0
D-01069 Dresden                          Fax +49 351 46766 66
Patrick R. (Guest)

Has anyone tried putting the Ferret index on a RAMdisk or some such to
speed things up?
Jens K. (Guest)
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:22:13AM -0500, Patrick R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried putting the Ferret index on a RAMdisk or some such to
> speed things up?

Have you tried using RAMDirectory for in-memory storage of the index?

There's even the possiblity to clone a persistent index into a RAM-based
one for faster access. However I can't imagine you'll get a huge speed
increase - I'd guess with a modern operating system even a persistent
index will end up completely buffered in RAM after some usage.

Jens

--
Jens K. wrote:
> There's even the possiblity to clone a persistent index into a RAM-based
> one for faster access. However I can't imagine you'll get a huge speed
> increase - I'd guess with a modern operating system even a persistent
> index will end up completely buffered in RAM after some usage.

Yes, but if it's really big parts of it may be unbuffered if the machine
is under high load... Would be nice to have a way to ensure that the
entire index is always in memory.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers!
Patrick