Forum: Ruby Getting the version number for rubygems?

Gregory B. (Guest)

In ruport I have a tool that generates a bunch of boilerplate code for
folks, and in it, I use require_gem to lock the files down to a
specific version of Ruport.

I'd like to make this friendly to RubyGems 0.9.1 by using the gem
method rather than require_gem when people have 0.9.1, but want to
generate require_gem for older versions.

So basically, is there a constant or method I can call that'll give me
back the version of rubygems that i'm running?
Jonathan A. (Guest)
on 2007-01-21 06:39
Well, from the command line you can call "gem -v" to get the version.
Perhaps there is something you can do with that.

Jonathan
Devin M. (Guest)
Gregory B. wrote:
> I'd like to make this friendly to RubyGems 0.9.1 by using the gem
> method rather than require_gem when people have 0.9.1, but want to
> generate require_gem for older versions.
>
> So basically, is there a constant or method I can call that'll give me
> back the version of rubygems that i'm running?

For 0.8.11 and 0.9.0, this should work:
   require 'rubygems/rubygems_version'
   p Gem::RubyGemsVersion
but no promises on any other version. Check the SCM history.

That said, why not rescue NoMethodError?

Devin
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 20, 2007, at 20:11, Gregory B. wrote:
> In ruport I have a tool that generates a bunch of boilerplate code for
> folks, and in it, I use require_gem to lock the files down to a
> specific version of Ruport.
>
> I'd like to make this friendly to RubyGems 0.9.1 by using the gem
> method rather than require_gem when people have 0.9.1, but want to
> generate require_gem for older versions.

Just use #gem, and don't bother being backwards-compatible.  RubyGems
older than 0.9.1 has a serious security exploit.  (About 20% of
rubyists are running a version of RubyGems without #gem (prior to
0.9.1's release).)

> So basically, is there a constant or method I can call that'll give me
> back the version of rubygems that i'm running?

Don't think so hard:

require 'rubygems'
Kernel.respond_to? :gem

And now for the real answer to your question:

The rubygems constant is in Gem::RubyGemsVersion, which you can get
from 'rubygems/rubygems_version'.  Kernel#gem first appeared in 0.9.0.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Gregory B. (Guest)
> older than 0.9.1 has a serious security exploit.  (About 20% of
> rubyists are running a version of RubyGems without #gem (prior to
> 0.9.1's release).)

I'll probably do this by the next release, but the one coming up in a
week or two i'd like to give people a bit of grace period.

> > So basically, is there a constant or method I can call that'll give me
> > back the version of rubygems that i'm running?
>
> Don't think so hard:
>
> require 'rubygems'
> Kernel.respond_to? :gem

Yep, that's better. thanks.
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
require 'rubygems'

unless Kernel.respond_to? :gem
  alias gem require_gem
end

gem 'ruport'

That should work I believe...

--Jeremy

--
My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, Jeremy McAnally <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> require 'rubygems'
>
> unless Kernel.respond_to? :gem
>   alias gem require_gem
> end
>
> gem 'ruport'
>
> That should work I believe...

instead of alias i'll use alias_method.  But I bet that would work.
Devin M. (Guest)
Gregory B. wrote:
> instead of alias i'll use alias_method.
Why? (Curious, not argumentative.)

Devin
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, Devin M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Gregory B. wrote:
> > instead of alias i'll use alias_method.
> Why? (Curious, not argumentative.)

alias is really a somewhat scary function.  I can't think of a good
example right now, but i've seen a couple different surprising things
with alias, wheras alias_method is simple and has normal behaviour.
Perhaps someone on the list can help me out with this.
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, Gregory B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 1/21/07, Devin M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Gregory B. wrote:
> > > instead of alias i'll use alias_method.
> > Why? (Curious, not argumentative.)
>
> alias is really a somewhat scary function.

well, keyword.  alias_method is actually a method, alias is not.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 20, 2007, at 21:03, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> require 'rubygems'
>
> unless Kernel.respond_to? :gem
>  alias gem require_gem
> end
>
> gem 'ruport'
>
> That should work I believe...

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

#gem and #require_gem do different things (autorequire).

You'll screw over other gems by aliasing things around.

Instead, just fall back to require_gem when gem isn't loaded.

if Kernel.respond_to? :gem then
   gem blah
else
   require_gem blah
end

DO NOT go aliasing methods on top of each other.  #require and
#require_gem do different things, much like #sub and #sub! do
different things, respect that.

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
Maybe you should tell the Rails team because I'm fairly sure that's
how they planned on handling it...

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6886

--Jeremy

--
My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, Eric H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

There you go being an asshole again Eric. (please stop)

> if Kernel.respond_to? :gem then
>    gem blah
> else
>    require_gem blah
> end
>
> DO NOT go aliasing methods on top of each other.  #require and
> #require_gem do different things, much like #sub and #sub! do
> different things, respect that.

I'm aware of this.  I actually need to just lock version and do a
normal require.

I'll do it that way.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 20, 2007, at 21:29, Gregory B. wrote:
> On 1/21/07, Devin M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Gregory B. wrote:
>> > instead of alias i'll use alias_method.
>> Why? (Curious, not argumentative.)
>
> alias is really a somewhat scary function.  I can't think of a good
> example right now, but i've seen a couple different surprising things
> with alias, wheras alias_method is simple and has normal behaviour.
> Perhaps someone on the list can help me out with this.

You're seeing phantoms.  There's no difference between alias_method
and alias on the inside.

       case NODE_ALIAS:
         if (NIL_P(ruby_class)) {
             rb_raise(rb_eTypeError, "no class to make alias");
         }
         rb_alias(ruby_class, rb_to_id(rb_eval(self, node->u1.node)),
                              rb_to_id(rb_eval(self, node->u2.node)));

static VALUE
rb_mod_alias_method(mod, newname, oldname)
     VALUE mod, newname, oldname;
{
     rb_alias(mod, rb_to_id(newname), rb_to_id(oldname));

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Gregory B. (Guest)

> You're seeing phantoms.  There's no difference between alias_method
> and alias on the inside.

Hah.  That'd explain why I am scared.

I forget what the cases were, but Sebastian D. did a talk on
things he found surprising in Ruby, and the stuff he pulled up for
alias vs. alias_method was pretty convincing.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 20, 2007, at 23:33, Gregory B. wrote:
>> > with alias, wheras alias_method is simple and has normal behaviour.
>> > Perhaps someone on the list can help me out with this.
>>
>> You're seeing phantoms.  There's no difference between alias_method
>> and alias on the inside.
>
> Hah.  That'd explain why I am scared.
>
> I forget what the cases were, but Sebastian D. did a talk on
> things he found surprising in Ruby, and the stuff he pulled up for
> alias vs. alias_method was pretty convincing.

any slides online?

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!
Gregory B. (Guest)

> any slides online?

I didn't see them on the nycruby list. :-/
I'll email him and see if they're posted anywhere
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, Devin M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Gregory B. wrote:
> > instead of alias i'll use alias_method.
> Why? (Curious, not argumentative.)

I guess it really is just the method vs. keyword thing.
alias is available everywhere, which means you might be aliasing in
the wrong place

Also, alias can work on global variables and regex backreferences.

it's also scary to me to see:  alias new_method old_method
where alias_method :new_method, :old_method seems more natural to me.

I think I may have been overly fearful about the use of alias, but I
guess there is no good reason not to use it as long as you know what
you're doing.

regards,
-greg
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 21, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Eric H. wrote:

> You're seeing phantoms.  There's no difference between alias_method
> and alias on the inside.

Well, you can override alias_method() if needed, but not alias.

James Edward G. II
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Jan 21, 2007, at 12:07 PM, James Edward G. II wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Eric H. wrote:
>> You're seeing phantoms.  There's no difference between
>> alias_method and alias on the inside.
> Well, you can override alias_method() if needed, but not alias.

And that changes or invalidates what Eric said... how? Not only did
he qualify with "on the inside" but he also backed it up by showing
said inside.
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 21, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Ryan D. wrote:

> said inside.
Eric showed the implementation of a method.  Methods are
overridable.  alias is implemented as a keyword, internally.
Keywords are not overridable.

James Edward G. II
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 1/21/07, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Eric showed the implementation of a method.  Methods are
> overridable.  alias is implemented as a keyword, internally.
> Keywords are not overridable.

Also the interface and the behaviours are different, as I mentioned in
an earlier post.  It's true I was being paranoid by saying it is
'scary', but it is different on the surface, which to me is more
relevant
than the C sources.