Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Re: Installing as non-root

Emmanuel T. (Guest)
Hello,

Kouhei S.  wrote:
>  >Is it possible to install ruby-gnome2 as a normal user, in
> > my home directory somewhere, without touching "/"?
> >
> Try DESTDIR environment variable:
>
> % DESTDIR=$HOME/local make install
Thank you for the tip! Actually it doesn't quite work, but with a bit
more work, in the end it does. If you do that, you get the files in
~/local/usr/local/lib/site_ruby. By moving them to ~/local/lib/site_ruby
it doesn't quite yet work. At that point it complains that it cannot
find gtk2.so.
At that point I copied the contents of
/home/emmanuel/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux in
/home/emmanuel/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8 and now it works.

Anyway, I wouldn't have made it without your tip, so thank you.
Otherwise I think that this should be supported by default, it's very
useful. Actually I think noone except package managers should install in
/ generally.

Thanks a lot again! Now I can go back coding :-)

emmanuel

your
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...