Forum: Ruby on Rails Suggestion on how to start a remote application from rails

Eivind (Guest)

I'm currently making a (rails) web application that allows the user to
upload files. The files should be processed by a script on a remote
machine, and the resulting file should be returned to the web
application. I'm new to rails and not familiar with the possibilities.

Are there any thoughs out there on how to do this?

I have come up with the following solution, but it's a bit fragile and
complex so I would like to use something more stable and secure.

Current solution:
1. Store the uploaded file in the web applicationi
2. Create a new e-mail and attach the file. Send it to the remote
machine.
3. Use OS X and Mails applescript support to get the mail attachment,
and start the script.
4. Use applescript to upload the result to an FTP-server.
5. Let the web-application list the file from FTP.

Better solution?
Maybe some sort of server on the remote machine to handle incoming
requests and files from the web-application...

Eivind Løland-Andersen
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2007-01-19 19:29
Eivind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently making a (rails) web application that allows the user to
> upload files. The files should be processed by a script on a remote
> machine, and the resulting file should be returned to the web
> application. I'm new to rails and not familiar with the possibilities.
>
> Are there any thoughs out there on how to do this?

I'm thinking web service.  Put service on other web server.  Send file
directly.  (Haven't done this personally...but I'm thinking it's
feasible.)  Then do processing on other werver and place it where you
want.

You might want to look into one of the small $10 booklets for Rails.
The one on Web Services should be enough to get you started.

MudDawg