Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Installing as non-root

Emmanuel T. (Guest)
Hello,

    I'm using ubuntu, but ubuntu like debian only has ruby-gnome2 0.15
in its repositories. I need to run 0.16; I could install from source,
but I would like to avoid writing on my / partition myself (not to
confuse apt). Is it possible to install ruby-gnome2 as a normal user, in
my home directory somewhere, without touching "/"?

    I did not see steps to do that in the installation documentation of
the distribution? It is possible to install gems as a user, you don't
need for that to override system-wide files, but I'm not sure for
ruby-gnome2?

    Thank you!

emmanuel

In <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Installing as non-root" on Fri, 19 Jan 2007
12:14:33 +0100,
  Emmanuel T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>     I'm using ubuntu, but ubuntu like debian only has ruby-gnome2 0.15
> in its repositories. I need to run 0.16; I could install from source,
> but I would like to avoid writing on my / partition myself (not to
> confuse apt). Is it possible to install ruby-gnome2 as a normal user, in
> my home directory somewhere, without touching "/"?
>
>     I did not see steps to do that in the installation documentation of
> the distribution? It is possible to install gems as a user, you don't
> need for that to override system-wide files, but I'm not sure for
> ruby-gnome2?

Try DESTDIR environment variable:

  % DESTDIR=$HOME/local make install

kou