Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 1.2: REST admiration, HTTP lovefest, and UTF-8 celebra

DHH (Guest)
Get out your party balloons and funny hats because we're there, baby.
Yes, sire, Rails 1.2 is finally available in all it's glory. It took a
little longer than we initially anticipated to get everything lined up
(and even then we had a tiny snag that bumped us straight from 1.2.0 to
1.2.1 before this announcement even had time to be written).

So hopefully it's been worth the wait. Who am I kidding. Of course it's
been worth the wait. We got the RESTful flavor with new encouragement
for resource-oriented architectures. We're taking mime types, HTTP
status codes, and multiple representations of the same resource
serious. And of course there's the international pizzazz of
multibyte-safe UTF-8 wrangling.

That's just some of the headliner features. On top of that, there's an
absolutely staggering amount of polish being dished out. The CHANGELOG
for Action Pack alone contains some two hundred entries. Active Record
has another 170-something on top of that.

All possible due to the amazing work of our wonderful and glorious
community. People from all over the world doing their bit, however big
or small, to increase the diameter of your smile. That's love, people.

See
http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/1/19/rails-1-2-...
for more.
Wybo W. (Guest)
> That's just some of the headliner features. On top of that, there's an
> absolutely staggering amount of polish being dished out. The CHANGELOG
> for Action Pack alone contains some two hundred entries. Active Record
> has another 170-something on top of that.
>
> All possible due to the amazing work of our wonderful and glorious
> community. People from all over the world doing their bit, however big
> or small, to increase the diameter of your smile. That's love, people.

Great!

Many thanks for Rails so far to all, and I'm off to get 1.2!

Wybo

--

::Student:
- History, Informatiekunde (computer linguistics, IR, webtech) and

::Free Software and Open Source Developer:
- http://www.LogiLogi.org, innovative system for cumulative, shared
commenting,
                           publication and idea sharing: Web as it
should be...
- ComLinToo, a computational linguistics toolset written in Perl
- Lake (LogiLogi.org Make), a make-replacement using makefiles in pure
C++

::Being:
- In the world, go figure (http://nl.logilogi.org/HomE/WyboWiersma)
Zack C. (Guest)
On 1/18/07, DHH <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> status codes, and multiple representations of the same resource
> or small, to increase the diameter of your smile. That's love, people.
>

> See

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/1/19/rails-1-2-...
> for more.

Well done rails core - 1.2 is definately worth the wait.

I see a lot of people asking questions about REST so I put together a
sample app to showcase a few of the basic principles like nested
resources, etc.  Hopefully this can help people get up to speed...

Code: http://svn.depixelate.com/applications/restful_pro...
Blog post: http://depixelate.com/2007/1/19/restful-product-tracker

--
Zack C.
http://depixelate.com

> On 1/18/07, DHH <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > Get out your party balloons and funny hats because we're there, baby.
> > Yes, sire, Rails 1.2 is finally available in all it's glory. It took a
> > little longer than we initially anticipated to get everything lined up
> > (and even then we had a tiny snag that bumped us straight from 1.2.0 to
> > 1.2.1 before this announcement even had time to be written).

I just tried updating and this is that I get:

sudo gem update --include-dependencies
Updating installed gems...
Attempting remote update of actionmailer
Successfully installed actionmailer-1.3.1
Successfully installed actionpack-1.13.1
Successfully installed activesupport-1.4.0
Installing ri documentation for actionmailer-1.3.1...
Installing ri documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by
identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by
identified or operator
Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.4.0...

lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:52:16: Unrecognized directive 'nodoc'
Installing RDoc documentation for actionmailer-1.3.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by
identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by
identified or operator
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.4.0...

lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:52:16: Unrecognized directive 'nodoc'
Attempting remote update of actionpack
Successfully installed actionpack-1.13.1
Installing ri documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by
identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by
identified or operator
While generating documentation for actionpack-1.13.1
... MESSAGE:   Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="SimpleXML"
... RDOC args: --ri --op
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/actionpack-1.13.1/ri --quiet lib
(continuing with the rest of the installation)
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.13.1...

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1050:30: ':' not followed by
identified or operator

lib/action_controller/routing.rb:1054:39: ':' not followed by
identified or operator
Attempting remote update of actionwebservice
Successfully installed actionwebservice-1.2.1
Successfully installed activerecord-1.15.1
Installing ri documentation for actionwebservice-1.2.1...
While generating documentation for actionwebservice-1.2.1
... MESSAGE:   Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="Action"
... RDOC args: --ri --op
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/actionwebservice-1.2.1/ri --quiet lib
(continuing with the rest of the installation)

Any ideas?
August L. (Guest)
Compiled this list;
http://leethal.stikipad.com/rails/show/1.2.1+Deprecations