Forum: Ruby what is dup?

David M. (Guest)
I am playing with an example in the ruby cookbook where  a shuffle
function is added to the array class:

class Array

   def shuffle!
     each_index do |i|
       j = rand(length-i) + i
       self[j], self[i] = self[i], self[j]

   def shuffle
     dup.shuffle!

What I don't understand is the line "dup.shuffle!"

What is the dup object?

Dave.
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 1/16/07, David M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>    end

dup returns a copy (duplicate) of the object. In the above code, it is
used to let you get back a shuffled copy of the Array, without
shuffling the original.

type:
ri Object#dup
for more info.
Tamreen Khan (Guest)
On 1/16/07, Wilson B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >        self[j], self[i] = self[i], self[j]
> >
> > What is the dup object?

I think a wordier but equivalent way of doing that is:

return self.dup.shuffle!

That just means "duplicate myself, shuffle the duplicate, then return
it."
David M. (Guest)

> dup returns a copy (duplicate) of the object. In the above code, it is
> used to let you get back a shuffled copy of the Array, without
> shuffling the original.
>
> type:
> ri Object#dup
> for more info.