Forum: Ruby Finding the super class of an object?

Aaron S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-16 05:29
How can I find out what the super class is of an object, Say if a class
extends Hash. I need to be able to find a string representation of the
super class ('Hash').... is_a? won't work as that requires an actual
module or class.. I need a string representation.

any ideas? thanks..
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Aaron S. wrote:

> How can I find out what the super class is of an object, Say if a class
> extends Hash. I need to be able to find a string representation of the
> super class ('Hash').... is_a? won't work as that requires an actual
> module or class..

is_a? won't report an inheritance relationship in any case:

   class D < C; end
   D.is_a?(C)  # false (unless C is Object maybe....)

> I need a string representation.
>
> any ideas? thanks..

superclass.name will give it to you as a string.

David
aaron smith (Guest)
yes, is_a? does report inheritance. consider this...

class C
end

class D < C
end

t = D.new

puts t.is_a?(C)

thanks.
aaron smith (Guest)
do you know of anyway to do this on an instance of an object, not on the
class method??

thanks..
Justin C. (Guest)
Aaron S. wrote:
> How can I find out what the super class is of an object, Say if a class
> extends Hash. I need to be able to find a string representation of the
> super class ('Hash').... is_a? won't work as that requires an actual
> module or class.. I need a string representation.
>
> any ideas? thanks.

Will Module#ancestors work?

irb(main):001:0> class A
irb(main):002:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):003:0> class B < A
irb(main):004:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):005:0> A.ancestors
=> [A, Object, Kernel]
irb(main):006:0> B.ancestors
=> [B, A, Object, Kernel]

-Justin
aaron smith (Guest)
nevermind, got it..

t.class.superclass.name
Bruce W. (Guest)
irb(main):013:0> a=10
=> 10
irb(main):014:0> a.class.ancestors
=> [Fixnum, Integer, Precision, Numeric, Comparable, Object, Kernel]
irb(main):015:0> a.class.superclass.name
=> "Integer"
irb(main):016:0>
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, aaron smith wrote:

>> > module or class..
>
> class D < C
> end
>
> t = D.new
>
> puts t.is_a?(C)

I interpreted your question as meaning that, given a class, you wanted
a string representation of its superclass -- and my point was that
is_a? isn't relevant in that situation, because D.is_a?(C) is false.
(It's actually not relevant anyway, since it's a boolean query; it
returns true or false, which isn't what you're looking for.)

If you want to go from any object to its class's superclass in string
form, you would do:

   obj.class.superclass.name

David