Forum: Ruby on Rails YAML model initializations

Tiffani Ashley B. (Guest)
Hi everybody,

Is there a way in Rails to create Active Record model objects from YAML
just
like you can with XML?

-Tiffani A.B.
Rick O. (Guest)

Foo.new(YAML.load(@yaml_data))

http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/yaml/rdoc/index.html

--
Rick O.
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net
Rick O. wrote:
> Foo.new(YAML.load(@yaml_data))

This is my chance to ask about something I've wondered about: when I
write test fixture /yml files, I include the id value for each record.
But normally the id is supposed to be an auto-increment integer column.

So how does the fixture loading code allow the fixture data to supply
the id?  In other words, how does it override this behavior and assign
the id manually?

Thanks
Jeff
Rick O. (Guest)
On 1/15/07, Jeff <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> the id?  In other words, how does it override this behavior and assign
> the id manually?

It doesn't use AR, it just inserts into the DB.

Exhibit A:
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/trunk/activerec...