Forum: Ruby on Rails Small design question ... good or bad ...

Swaraj S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-16 04:02
hey guys, I am trying to add mapping functionality to the example
application from the book.

The mapping (mapquest's openAPI) uses javascript to generate maps. So I
was thinking that I'll have a partial view to which i'll pass the
addresses and it'll  plot them. I'll then put the partial view in the
main view.

Is this a good way of implementing this ??
Swaraj S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-17 02:53
Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?
Andrew S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-17 04:57
Swaraj S. wrote:
> Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?

Not that I have seen the mapquest API, but I have played with Google's.

With Google Maps I passed an array of co-ordinates to the partial, which
looped over them to draw the markers and called the map.  It was quick
and dirty, but it worked.
Swaraj S. (Guest)
on 2007-01-17 20:18
Andrew S. wrote:
> Swaraj S. wrote:
>> Anyone ?? am I not explaining it right for you guys to understand ?
>
> Not that I have seen the mapquest API, but I have played with Google's.
>
> With Google Maps I passed an array of co-ordinates to the partial, which
> looped over them to draw the markers and called the map.  It was quick
> and dirty, but it worked.

The partial you say here is basically a partial view right ?? I was
thinking of doing that too. I cant seem to think of any problems with
this method .. but do the more experienced members here think there is a
better way of doing it ??