Forum: Ruby Silly codeing error

Adrian R. (Guest)
on 2007-01-15 21:10
Hi
I am a new programmer of ruby and am reading the pickaxe book. Working
through the examples to try out my new spiffy ruby ide I thought I would
try some very basic code from the book as below:

class Song
    def initiialize( name, artist, duration)
      @name = name
      @artist = artist
      @duration = duration

song = Song.new("Bicyclops" , "Fleck" , 260)
song.inspect

Now this fails with the following error `initialize': wrong number of
arguments (3 for 0) (ArgumentError)

I can see no error with this, has anyone got any ideas?

Adrian
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 1/15/07, Adrian R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi
> I am a new programmer of ruby and am reading the pickaxe book. Working
> through the examples to try out my new spiffy ruby ide I thought I would
> try some very basic code from the book as below:
>
>     def initiialize( name, artist, duration)

Check the spelling there. :)
Tim P. (Guest)
On 1/15/07, Adrian R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi
> I am a new programmer of ruby and am reading the pickaxe book. Working
> through the examples to try out my new spiffy ruby ide I thought I would
> try some very basic code from the book as below:
>
> class Song
>     def initiialize( name, artist, duration)

def initialize( name, artist, duration )

# one too many 'i' characters in "initialize"
David M. (Guest)

> class Song
>     def initiialize( name, artist, duration)
>       @name = name
>       @artist = artist
>       @duration = duration
>     end
> end

How have you spelt initialize??
Adrian R. (Guest)
on 2007-01-16 00:09
Tim P. wrote:
> On 1/15/07, Adrian R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am a new programmer of ruby and am reading the pickaxe book. Working
>> through the examples to try out my new spiffy ruby ide I thought I would
>> try some very basic code from the book as below:
>>
>> class Song
>>     def initiialize( name, artist, duration)
>
> def initialize( name, artist, duration )
>
> # one too many 'i' characters in "initialize"

Yes thank you I now know my error!!
Adrian R. (Guest)
on 2007-01-16 00:10
David M. wrote:

>> class Song
>>     def initiialize( name, artist, duration)
>>       @name = name
>>       @artist = artist
>>       @duration = duration
>>     end