Forum: Ruby on Rails Password Protecting Documents with Rails Authentication

Bryan C. (Guest)
on 2007-01-15 10:27
Hello all,

I'm working on a project which involves users uploading and downloading
documents.  I am using the file_column plugin to do this.

The file_column device stores the documents in the public folder, in the
folder documents.  What I would like to do is require that a user be
authorized before they download a document from that directory.  What
suggestions do you have on the best way to go about this?

My thought is to create a controller that intercepts all requests for
that directory, and then if the user is logged in it will allow the
download by passing the data manually.  I really wish there were a more
elegant method, however.

Thanks
Gokhan A. (Guest)
on 2007-01-15 13:51
Helo Bryan,

If you are using lighttpd then check out

http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs%3AModSecDownload

I used it for image download website successfully. It is
straightforward.

Good luck
Gokhan A.
www.sylow.net

Bryan C. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on a project which involves users uploading and downloading
> documents.  I am using the file_column plugin to do this.
>
> The file_column device stores the documents in the public folder, in the
> folder documents.  What I would like to do is require that a user be
> authorized before they download a document from that directory.  What
> suggestions do you have on the best way to go about this?
>
> My thought is to create a controller that intercepts all requests for
> that directory, and then if the user is logged in it will allow the
> download by passing the data manually.  I really wish there were a more
> elegant method, however.
>
> Thanks
Stephen B. (Guest)
Hey,

There is a bit of discussion about this on this post:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rubyonrails-talk/...

Steve